+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How many toys are too many toys?

My kids are getting spoiled by us and Santa because that is all they are getting. Growing up I had grandparents and Aunties and Uncles but my children don't. My dad is their only family they will see for Xmas this year and he doesn't bother buying them anything so usually I label one of our gifts from him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We usually give them 1-2 big presents each from santa. Then smaller ones from us. We try to stick to a dollar amount of around $300-350 per child all up, and try to have similar numbers of presents.

We don't normally give 'need' presents, like a school bag or clothes. We feel it's our job as parents to provide that thru the year. Xmas is a time for things they want. Some things are more practical, like books or puzzles. Others are stuff like Ipods and skylanders games which are just for fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have probably gone a bit overboard this year as its DS's 2nd Christmas but the first that he can interact and understand etc (21 months). We spent about $400.

In saying that, DS has gotten hardly any new toys throughout the year and only got 1 present from us on his birthday so am giving myself free rein to spoil him this year.

Plus I think depends on the gifts as well. We haven't bought any cheap junky stuff. All good quality toys/books/outdoor stuff that will last for any years.

Thanks
    Reviews

From us one present each for under the tree plus one big present to share and from Santa 3x presents for in their sack and a couple sweets in their stocking. Price depends each year on what they are into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me you cant have too many toys, I went and paid off my layby today and was looking for more things to buy because i felt like I could of and shoudl have bought more and felt maybe I was ripping off the kids. An example this year we bought

Our 1 year old 20 toys
    Our 6 year old 15 toys
    Our 12 year old isn't really into toys so he got a green machine, and about 6 other gifts and since his birthday is jan he is getting a PS3
    My 15 and 16 year old are getting a couple hundred dollars to spend on what they want.

We dont buy cheap toys that will break in a few days to make it appear to be getting more. We just get the kids what they want (within reason cant buy a horse or anything lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I try to make sure both girls get an equal amount of gifts of a similar kind.

Ie: DD1 a scooter & DD2 a balance bike
    Each a different doll

They are also getting a couple of 'share' presents - a kiddy pool and a seesaw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In these younger years (4yo and 3mo) we spend very little on Christmas presents. My older son has enough toys really, and I've noticed the novelty wears off very quickly for everything other than his collection of cars, trains and plastic animals.

This year, I have bought my older son 2 thomas trains and a poko DVD. I don't really see that he needs anything else. he asked for more trains but he already has 20+ of them anyway, so I told him that santa can only bring him 2.

At this age, I just don't think he needs a glut of gifts as he won't appreciate them as much if there are too many.

Plus, I know that kids get costly as they get older so I figure spend as little as I can while I can!

eta: we went through a stage when my son was between 3 and 4 that we would often bring small gifts home from him (probably motivated by guilt as he didn't like daycare), and I found he developed a fairly obnoxious expectant type attitude, so I am wary of that now as well.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 15-12-2012 at 16:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have (just about) 5 kids and no more toys than fit in one large trunk.

Don't believe they are necessary at all.

Their favourites are those plastic dinosaurs lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

(They do all have bikes though and outside play equipment)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think I have spent $100 all up collectively on my two kids
    They will get two under the tree that are one from me and one from their siblings, then they get one under the tree that is to both of them from Santa and Santa will fill their little stockings
    Not too much here