+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question How many toys are too many toys?

I was doing stocktake on the toys I've bought for our kids for Christmas and I wondered to myself how many people would view them as excessive..

They are getting two boxed gifts each from under the tree, plus Santa is bringing them each a bag of smaller toys, puzzles, dolls etc and one bigger present each, for example DS is 2 and he is getting a trike.

I tend to focus on making sure that they each get the same equivalent of gifts, and things they will actually excited about, as well enjoy and use.

What is the guiding pricipal for what your children get at Christmas? Is it budget? What they want? Practical items?

We're comfortable financially so I don't worry about the cost of the gifts so much as I keep any eye on when I think their eyes will get "glazy" and not caring about what they are opening because there are so many toys, if that makes sense.

Do you think there is a dollar figure that is too much or too little? (ie. Is $20 too little or $500per child too much?) Or is there a number of presents in a certain scale you decide to get your kids?

Christmas is a big deal in our family, its anticipated months in advanced, the day is planned with careful detail and presents are a part of that - especially for the kids. I probably give my kids a similar quantity of toys that I received as a child.

I'm interested to hear other hubber's thoughts.

What is the appropriate number/cost of gifts for your kids?

How do you determine you will buy something else, or that you have too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How many toys are too many toys?

When i was little we used to get a large present under the tree from mum and dad then from Santa it was 1 large present (main present) outside the stocking then usually 12 smaller gifts in the stocking - toys, books etc

Examples of large gifts were
    Bike
    Gerbil cage - present from parents was the gerbils
    Dolls house
    Jewellery (as we got older)
    Barbie sets - horse and caravan etc
    Sylvanian families large items - windmill etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sound like our family, in that you had a "formula" or certain number of big/small presents. I wonder if most families are like ours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This is our second Christmas as parents, we got our daughter a cubby house and a couple of fisher price toys. I didn't want to get too much for her because the family will also buy for her. She has so mich ad it is!
    She's only 18 months so I guess it's different as they get older, there's more options.

Every family is different though, some might have trouble affording even what we might consider to be not enough spent on Christmas. So there's no right or wrong really.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolakitty For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How many toys are too many toys?

Sounds like too much to me. They are getting one big santa gift each one small toy from us clothes and a stocking of small things (beads, plastic animals, bubbles, stickers etc)

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How many toys are too many toys?

But my kids are 22 months and 4, plus ds bday is xmas day.

I have struggled to find even that many things this year tbh!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolakitty View Post

Every family is different though, some might have trouble affording even what we might consider to be not enough spent on Christmas. So there's no right or wrong really.
    I agree, its totally subjective.

I just wonder how other people determine how much is "just right" for their children

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

My kids are getting a trampoline and their stocking gifts from Santa - stocking gifts are paint set, flippers, board shorts, lollies and chocolate.

Then from me they're getting tablets, light sabers, board game, Lego sorting head thing, backyard totem soccer, bouncy ball things, skateboard, dinosaur, scooter…… can't think what else.

They've got a heap this year but since their father and I separated, I've had to say 'no' all the time unless its something we/they really needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think when it gets to the point that you're buying things (particularly cheap disposable crap) just to 'top up the stocking' then you've bought too much.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (16-12-2012),Bubbles10  (15-12-2012),delirium  (15-12-2012),αληθη  (15-12-2012),Missbean  (19-12-2012),PlayNice  (15-12-2012),TnA  (15-12-2012),Twinklemum  (16-12-2012),withloveandlimits  (17-12-2012),wrena  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i decied i have too much for this kids for christmas this year so am spliting it to there birthdays too (dd bday is end of feb and ds is start of april)
    we have enough toys in the house and im felling overwhelmed with clutter as it is

13. The Following User Says Thank You to *Need~More~Coffee~Please* For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-12-2012)