+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birth to TT - how much have you spent on cloth?

Honest figures please ladies, I know it "can" be cheaper, but once you tried a few brands, bought some extra cute designs, inserts, liners, covers, spares for when it rains for days and days and you can't get them all dry etc etc. How much would you think you have really spent from when your bub was born (or went into cloth) to when they were out of nappies?

I know that the 'value' goes up a lot when used for more than 1 bub, but at this stage I'll be assuming they'll be used for just 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I use mostly terry flats so not sure if my figures are what you're interested in but I'll post anyway

3 dozen terry flats $60
    5x small BBH PUL covers $52.50 (on sale)
    6x snappis $18
    6x china cheapie MCNs $25
    4x large Bambooty night nappies $50 (on sale)
    PUL/zippers etc to make own wet bags $10
    Flannel sheet from op shop to make wipes $2
    2 dozen small face washers for wipes $12
    A cut of hemp and a cut of fleece for boosters/liners $20
    Nappy bucket $15

I'm planning to buy another 6 china cheapies as I use these when we're out so another $25

When/if she grows out of the night nappies I will buy another 3 so will factor in $60 for those though I would try and find them on sale

I will also need bigger covers when she grows out of the smalls so will factor in $100 for those

So all up $449.50. DD is only 4 months but I can't see any reason why I'll spend more than what I've estimated here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

20 little ripple MCN about $ 130 - birth till TT

Extra bamboo inserts from nappybucket.com.au $150

TT pants from bumpybots.com.au $70 for 8-10 I think

Flannel flats ~$30
    Plastic PUL ~$30
    I rarely use these tho

All prices approx - onto my second child for the MCN.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 15-12-2012 at 11:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you actually need value and to save money than cute designs etc are irrelevant and a couple hundred ($200) on quality terry cloth will do multiple children from birth to TT.
    I have bought a few mcns on clearance, they are cute & easy for days out but I prefer terry cloth flats for ease of use, value, drying time and also, they work better!

Thanks
    Reviews

Mr is only 4 months but I've spent approximately $600 and am about to spend another $150 but that should do me till he's toilet trained

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Birth to TT - how much have you spent on cloth?

2x bulk lots 13 BBH magicalls- sizes M & L = $600
    12 little ripples for child care days = $60
    Also bought some BBH petites, I think I paid about $50 for 3 and they didn't suit my DS so weren't ever used.

Total= around $700

They'll all be used for DD too, apart from 5 of the little ripples that child care lost, so i might need to buy some more of those eventually.

We also use sposies for night time so that's not our total nappy cost.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the range of replies. Cost is only one consideration for me but the easiest to start with. I know it can be really cheap, but I don't know if for me - and my love of shopping - it will be really cheap.

I couldn't use cloth with DD as we planned (and did) travel with her from 6-18 months so they weren't a suitable option. I did however, do early potty learning with her which meant I used significantly less nappies than "normal" and she was fully day TT by 21 months. I'd calculate the spend on nappies (excluding night nappies after she was day trained) at around $1000-1500 (bit hard due to being in so many different countries/exchange rates in that time). To do early potty again I think MCNs will be the go as you need nappies you can take on and off really easily and I don't fancy having to refold the terry flat every time a pottytunity comes up.

Another big factor is that we are on tank water. We've only just moved in but I know the last family here would run out and have to pay to have water trucked in every summer - and they were using 'sposies!