+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Planned C-Section, what to expect?

I had planned to have a vaginal birth throughout my pregnancy but due to developing fairly severe polyhydramnios my OB has recommended delivering by c-section.

Now I'm fine with having a c-section, I have never had a definite drive towards having one type of birth or another but I am just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what to expect in terms of preparation, the actual procedure, and recovery.

I'm stuck in hospital until bubs is born so have plenty of time to mull over it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Grebecci!
    I've never had a caesar, but I'm a midwife so can help you out with a bit of it.

Also make sure you ask your midwives and doctors questions as well, as it the procedure at your hospital might differ a bit from what I'm used to.

So preparation:
    If you're on the morning theatre list (8am-12pm) then you'll fast from midnight and the afternoon theatre list (1pm-4pmish) you'll fast from 6amish.

In the morning the midwives will come around and get you 'prepped' from theatre. This generally involves having a shower using a special antiseptic soap, dressing in a theatre gown and ted stockings, taking out all jewellery and maybe a shave/clip but sometimes they do that in theatre as well. Then you wait. And wait some more. And then wait a little bit more, especially if your not first on the list. It can seem like forever. And a bit nerve-wrecking because there's nothing you can do, except sit in your room and wait. And be hungry. The midwives will also do your obs and run through a tonne of pre-op paperwork which is all generally stuff about have you removed your jewellery, do you have any false teeth, allergies, when did you last eat etc.

When its time to go, someone will come and take you down to theatre on your bed and with your partner, and you will go into a little anaesthetic room attached to your theatre for your epidural/spinal. Depending on your hospital your partner might be allowed in to hold your hand, or they might ask him to wait outside. You might also have a different midwife in theatre to who you have on the ward. The anaesthetist will do your epidural or spinal anaesthestia which can be a bit uncomfortable because of the way you have to sit for it, not because of the actual procedure. They'll then take you in the theatre and move you on the operating table/bed and start putting up lots of drapes all over you and in front of you. If you don't have your partner with you yet, once they've got you ready, they'll bring him in. They'll also put in a catheter at this point as well.

There will be a midwife who's job is the look after the baby and their might be a paediatrician there as well. It takes about 5-10 minutes once they start cutting to meeting your baby! And they usually lower the drapes in front of your head and show you your baby before passing him/her to the midwife.

The midwife will check the baby over and dry them off, and your partner can hop up and see the baby then. Once everything's done, wrap the baby and bring over to you and your partner can help you hold the baby or hold the baby sitting next to you.

It's about another 20 minutes or so to finish stitching, and then the three of you and the midwife will head to recovery, unless theres any complications with your baby that might need for them to go to the special care nursery to be looked after. In recovery you have a nurse to look after you and the midwife will help you with the first breastfeed. About 30-45 minutes later, you'll go back to the ward and should be able to begin to move your legs again and will have pain relief to press the button.

Generally the next day, they'll take out the pain relief drip and the catheter (depending on how your going of course) and get you up for a shower and generally feel more like a human and be on strong pain killer tablets. Take it easy those first few days, and don't be afraid to take the pain relief when you need it. And in a few days you should be okay to go home, and 6 weeks is considered the recovery period (not allowed to drive for 6 weeks either!)

Good luck!!

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

ChangedMyMind  (26-12-2012),cluckcluck  (15-12-2012),Eko  (17-12-2012),Grebbeci  (15-12-2012),αληθη  (16-12-2012),jellybeanicecream  (19-12-2012),MamaO  (17-12-2012),mummy and bubbles  (15-12-2012),Squishy115  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Planned C-Section, what to expect?

Thanks wewannabe.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Planned C-Section, what to expect?

Subbing as I'm having a c-section too. Thanks for all of that awesome info!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Subbing as I'm having a c-section too. Thanks for all of that awesome info!
    That's all good, I'd done an elective caesar the day beforehand so it was all pretty fresh. Was afraid it was too much info!!

Just make sure you check with your specific hospitals/obstetricians/midwives as to what their policies/protocols are with partners in theatre and breastfeeding in recovery as thats where the biggest differences between care providers lie and then also cause the biggest disappointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I've had two Caesars and yep it went almost exactly as wannawannabe described. Main diff was I was coming in from home so did the prep stuff there - with my first they gave me the antiseptic soap to use that morning but by my second they had phased that out, the nurse just covered me in bettadine before the surgery lol.

I was terrified of the procedure but my imagination was far worse than the reality. TBH the worst part of the whole thing was when they put the drip in the back of my hand (friends who had natural births hate me for saying that, but its true). The midwives are angels and were wonderful, talking to me and distracting me so I couldn't dwell too much on what was about to happen!.

The spinal block was fine, I had to sit on the edge of the bed and roll my back over with my chin tucked down, if that makes sense, although other people I know have had to lay on their sides - I guess it depends on the anaesthetist. It didn't hurt at all but it is weird when they are laying you down or moving you and you can't feel your legs. With one of mine i must have reacted to something in the drip because i started to feel a bit dizzy but literally within a second the anaesthetist fixed it and i felt completely fine. I had my husband sitting beside my head (with the camera!) the whole time so i could talk to him. When the surgery began there was no pain of course but you can feel tugging and pulling / pushing around. It's so fast though, you don't have time to even think about it all before they are holding your baby up. We didn't know what we were having so were in shock over that and just kept looking at each other saying its a girl. The paediatrician checked her over, made my husband cut the cord (a bit pointless in my opinion since the cord was already cut, but they insisted so he humoured them!) then wrapped her up and brought her over. He placed her on my chest and then I truly couldn't have cared how long it took them to stitch me up, I was just in my own little bubble looking at this amazing being and trying to come to terms with the fact that she was MINE!.

With my first she came into recovery with me and my husband was allowed to stay as well until they took us back to the ward. I can't remember how long that took, maybe half an hour or so?. Once back in the ward a nurse helped me straight away with breast feeding. That can be a bit more challenging because you have a drip in still and there are tubes and things getting in the way. Also you can't get off the bed obviously so you have to rely on others if you need something. My husband set me up with my water and everything the first night then ducked home to feed the dogs when my dinner arrived....the baby cot was not right up next to my bed though and I was terrified I was going to drop dd down the gap if I tried to put her in lol. I ended up buzzing a nurse to do it for me and then asked them to get her back out again when she needed feeding .

My second bub was sent back to the ward with my husband instead of staying in recovery with me. I can't remember if the hospital had changed policies or it was something to do with staffing levels, but I wasn't there too long so it was fine. It was much less stressful being my second and knowing what to expect so I didn't mind so much her being sent off with dh. Actually I had a lovely cup of tea and chat to the recovery nurse while waiting for the orderlies to come and get me!.

On the tmi side, not being able to move or feel your legs and bleeding after delivery can get a little messy. They out a pad down there but I didn't have knickers on to keep it in place so it leaked everywhere. The nurses are amazing though, they just whisked a new bed sheet on until I could get up the next day. On the plus side, having the catheter in was kind of great in one way - it was the first night in months that I didn't have to get up to go to the loo!.

I was told by my ob and a close friend to take all the pain relief they offer you in hospital and get up and moving ASAP. Obviously you won't be running around, but just getting out of bed and walking around your room a little helps you heal and get back to normal faster. I didn't have any trouble with recovery either time. there is a bit of pain but nothing unbearable, and in a way the pain is good because it reminds you not to do too much. I did find it hard turning over in bed for a few days after my first but the hospital beds with the straps that you can hang onto are great. There should be a physio who will show you how to sit up and get out of bed without using your stomach too much - I used to push myself up to sitting using just my arms then use my Legs to stand up. The worst part pain wise is the first few days, which is I guess why I was advised to take the pain killers even if I didn't think I needed them. It gets better every day though and from memory I felt fine within 10 days. I still didn't do much but I wasn't in any pain moving around or rolling over!.

I hope this super long post does help you understand a bit of what it's like to go through the process anyway!.

How long do you have to go until your bubs is born?. Good luck with it all, I hope the days go really fast!
    Last edited by wktz; 16-12-2012 at 21:27.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wktz For This Useful Post:

cam11  (17-12-2012),FirstTimeMummy2012  (17-12-2012),MamaO  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great post thank you! Being pregnant with my first bub and having a Caesar so this is just what I wanted - great info!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mostly mine was the same as pps but a few differences-

Some hospitals try and do your catheter before your numb, I requested it was done after I was numb.

No shower or antiseptic wash before hand, they just swabbed me when I was in theater.

All my paper work was done down in a special lounge outside the theaters, so I wasn't in my room long at all.

Epi/spinal was done in the main room, in the bed the csection took place on.

If you feel sick or headachy after your spinal/epi speak up! It's pretty common to feel sick and the anethatist should be able to fix you up straight away.

It was a pretty easy experience, I was nervous as all hell of course, but
    Electives are normally pretty laid back in comparison to an emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Planned C-Section, what to expect?

Thanks wktz and aaliyahsmummy,.

Bub wasn't due until the 10th of January but looks like she will be getting delivered this week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub