+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Chrisco etc.

Just wondering, I know that people get Chrisco mostly because it's easier than trying to find a lump sum at the end of the year but after crunching the numbers I've realised that it's really very over-priced.
    Just on meat alone you end up spending about 40% more (in general) than in stores.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any similar products that aren't as over-priced? I saw hamper king, but they seem to be about on par with chrisco. I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience but 40% more than in store seems insane to put it politely!

My game plan for now is to put aside money every fortnight (as I get paid fortnightly) but I'd really rather be paying something off so that I don't have to do a big shop at the end so if anyone knows of any other similar products that'd be really helpful

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep it's call a Christmas savings account, open it up and put x amount in each pay, then your not wasting your money on over priced, additive filled food which always has something in it no one will ever eat. If it's the delivery option you like shop online using coles/woolies/farmers direct etc.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

delirium  (15-12-2012),HugsBunny  (15-12-2012),LoveLivesHere  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep I was also going to suggest a christmas account where they debit a little bit out each pay. Or some buy gift cards at Woolies then cash them in at the end of the year for christmas food

I looked at chrisco and hamper king about 6 years ago. I know all the prices off by heart and the mark up is astronomical.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Vouchers are another good idea

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (15-12-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Chrisco etc.

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Yep it's call a Christmas savings account, open it up and put x amount in each pay, then your not wasting your money on over priced, additive filled food which always has something in it no one will ever eat. If it's the delivery option you like shop online using coles/woolies/farmers direct etc.

This is what I do much better than any hamper thingo

Thanks
    Reviews
    See that's the thing, vouchers are no good for me as the second we didn't have enough money for something one week I'd crack one out and use it!

That's kind of why I'm looking more towards paying off a hamper style thing because that way it comes out of my pay and that's it... I can't access it anymore.
    If I do the savings account option (which I'd kind of planned on anyway) that's slightly better because if I need the money it takes a few days to withdraw it. But paying off an actual item seems less trouble for me.

Me and my money brain, we don't exactly see eye to eye sometimes haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm not positive but I don't think you can touch the account for the first few months, might be wrong though.

If chrisco is the only way you can afford to do it then fair enough.

Family got us a hamper a few years in a row ages ago, and I was grateful but disappointed in the contents. There were lots of things we just didn't eat. The big hampers tend to have a lot of crap in them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If chrisco is the only way you can afford to do it then fair enough.
    Oh it's not the only way I can afford it... I was just hoping that there's something similar where you don't pay through the nose!
    You're right though, I had a family member send me a hamper kit one year and while it was great for some things I found that a lot of it I just plain wouldn't use.

I seem to remember doing research at one point and seeing that our local IGA did a hamper style thing that you could pay an amount to the store each week and have a selection of hampers at the end of the year that you could tailor but I don't think anywhere near us does that now. Disappointing, as it'd be perfect.

I'm such an undisciplined saver so it's really just me trying to curtail my habits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I've actually got two savings accounts with much better interest rates than that already. Those accounts are the ones I'm planning to use should I not find a product that suits my needs.