+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Little girl permanently removed from her good single mother :(

I read in the article it has also been set up so legally she cant ever contest this decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Outrageous. The 'elderly relatives' should be ashamed of themselves for tearing a child away from a loving parent, it makes me sick that they have done this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Izy  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    I don't think she went to grandparent's, but to 'elderly relatives' of her former partner.
    I might have missed this part but why did she not go to the father either?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Maker View Post
    I want to know too, waves need to be made and if there is enough fuss, maybe this mother may get another chance?
    The weekends are a great time for talkback radio. Maybe we could all get ringing?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-12-2012),Mrs Maker  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The minister for children and early childhood development is hon Wendy Lovell. Her contact details are on the Vic parliament website. Perhaps a well worded e-mail. Not sure about vic but in Queensland you can start an e-petition and if enough people sign up the government are obliged to respond.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pommiemum11 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-12-2012),jagamoe  (15-12-2012),Phony  (15-12-2012),SPC  (15-12-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If the court is standing by it's decision that the elderly relatives will do a better job, why is it to be hushed up like a dirty little secret?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-12-2012),Izy  (16-12-2012),SPC  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    The article was pretty vague... No details if any kind.

This mother needs to he given a voice. It all sounds very reminiscent of the baby snatching that went on in the 60's.... With the mother being hushed like this. Horrendous.
    The details are pretty darned vague. Before we go off on the talkback radio scene/signing petitions...Are we sure we're getting a balanced story and there are no other factors impacting the mothers ability to care for her child?

I find it hard to believe a child would be removed from a competent and loving parent.
    - if this did indeed happen I agree it's horrifying.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The article says there were no other factors, and that the law views disability as a barrier to good parenting as per drug addiction, without actual evidence of any impediment to good parenting being required.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    how heartbreaking for this poor woman and her daughter.

I do wonder at the story - every story has many sides, and unfortunately due to privacy concerns for the child, reporting on this stuff is very hard - so we will never get to know much more.

We are basically forced to rely on the courts to promote the best interest of this child .... which is hard as I am fairly cynical about the courts and their ability to see things at the moment.

I do wonder about the "mild intellectual disability" and what exactly that involves ... I would have thought that if the standard is 'the best interest of the child' that it would almost certainly have been to stay with the mother and not elderly relatives if the disability was not something that would interfere in her parenting ability, or if she had help to overcome these difficulties ...

Having said that - the difficulties and discrimination against intellectual disabilities is intense ...

How can we as a society take a child away from a loving mother because we cant help her care for the child.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Izy  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is pretty sad but this part made me think we are not getting the whole story and guess we never will.

The child's paternal relatives, who had shared parenting responsibilities before the relationship between Rebecca and the girl's father ended, had applied to the Federal Magistrates Court for an order granting them ''residence'' of the girl and parenting responsibility.

Questions like were they needed to help? How much help did they need to provide? It could very well be worse than some minor disability the media has a way of twisting things to get more readers and make things seem more or less than it really is. Until we know exactly what is the whole truth we prob shouldn't be calling radio stations and such it would be really bad if the public pushed for the child to be returned and then something happened to the child because we didnt go into it with all the details.