+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    I think some of you have an extremely naive and perhaps in some cases bigoted view of how women with disabilities are treated in Australia. I'd recommend reading this;

"Bella is 34 years old. Without her knowledge or consent, she became the victim of forcedsterilisation at the age of 12 when her parents took her to hospital for what they told her wasan operation to have her appendix removed. Nine years later, during a routine pelvicexamination, Bella was told it was her uterus, not her appendix that had been removed.Thirteen years on from her discovery, Bella’s grief and anger are still raw. The trust she had inher parents and hospital staff, she explains, was violated. “If they’d told the truth and asked me,I would have shouted ‘No!’” “My sterilisation makes me feel I’m less of a woman when I havesex because I’m not normal down there,” says Bella. “When I see other mums holding theirbabies, I look away and cry because I won’t ever know that happiness.”1 It was stories like Bella’s that initiated, more than a decade ago, Women With Disabilities Australia’scampaign to address the issues of forced sterilisation and reproductive rights of women and girls withdisabilities. "

http://www.wwda.org.au/Moving_Forwar...ing_Ground.pdf

I think it's fair to take this approach. If a person is mentally impaired and unable to care for a child then I think it's warranted. The parents made the right choice on this occassion I would think.

My dads youngest sister is mentally retarded and she had a baby whom was removed from her care when she was 5yrs old. My dads sister has the mental capacity of an 8yr old, she could not provide the care that child needed. It was the right thing to have her removed from her care and placed with a family that could care for her. Her parents having had her sterilised to begin with would have been the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This is what makes me question the 'elderly relatives' motives. If they were concerned, surely they would've taken action some time ago.
    They probably did, it can take years to go through the court process

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybelline, the article that the OP provided link states that the mother has a mild intellectual disability.
    Yes mild .. What does that mean ? What can she and can't she understand or cope with ? Really horrible situation for mother and child ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Benji  (18-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Yes mild .. What does that mean ? What can she and can't she understand or cope with ? Really horrible situation for mother and child ..
    Isn't it just

My understanding is that mild is just that - not severe. I had a friend in high school with a learning/intellectual disability and I honestly struggle to understand how this would impact on her parenting, she was a lovely person. IQ has little to do with parenting IMO.

Her guardian and psychologist said she was a loving, caring mother. I get the feeling she was coping just fine........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What is most disturbing to me is that the 'better parenting standard' was used against this mother by 'elderly relatives'. There are many covenants regarding human rights, and a child's right to be raised by their natural parent. I have no doubt this goes against them.

I am also worried that she was taken simply because her mother had a 'mild intellectual disability', and not because that disability impaired her parenting.

A lot of mothers would be in a LOT of trouble if mental problems meant children are taken away. Imagine all of the women with PND among a myriad of other MHIs having children ripped away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (18-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I think it's fair to take this approach. If a person is mentally impaired and unable to care for a child then I think it's warranted. The parents made the right choice on this occassion I would think.

My dads youngest sister is mentally retarded and she had a baby whom was removed from her care when she was 5yrs old. My dads sister has the mental capacity of an 8yr old, she could not provide the care that child needed. It was the right thing to have her removed from her care and placed with a family that could care for her. Her parents having had her sterilised to begin with would have been the right thing to do.
    I don't think this approach is fair. I think it's disgusting that she was tricked into surrendering her uterus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of mothers would be in a LOT of trouble if mental problems meant children are taken away. Imagine all of the women with PND among a myriad of other MHIs having children ripped away.
    This is a very good point

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Yes, it is the "better parenting standard" that is the scary part of this whole situation. If the mother was unfit to raise the little girl, surely they would have gained custody on the basis that the mother was unable to provide adequate care. They would not have needed to rely on the "better parenting standard" loophole.

My parents could argue they could be better parents to my children than me. They are financially well off, I am struggling. They are retired and have way more time to spend with the kids than I do, as I work and rely on before and after school care. They could argue they help with the care of the children as they have done a lot of babysitting..........
    Exactly. I was under the impression that the 'better parenting standard' was more for separated parents biologically related to the child in determining with whom they should reside. I didn't realise it could be used for any old relative as a tool to take children away from a parent. Scary!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (18-12-2012),Izy  (18-12-2012)