+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    So do the nappies get clean and smell free without detergent? And do you use a cold or hot wash then? They are called real nappies, apparently they are used in NZ hospitals
    I use some powder (planet ark sensitive), wash in cold but dry in sun, but you could do it without powder it by either washing in hot or drying in full sun. My baby is the same age as yours, I think (almost 13 weeks old), and sometimes there are some poo stains left but they slowly come off over time.

I googled the nappies and they said they are indian cotton. the only other thing I can think of is a different fabric. I use baby beehinds bamboo, and itti tuttos (not sure what the exterior fabric is on a tutto).

It must be so annoying for you as it's not like you're doing anything wrong and you're still getting the nappy rash. I do the same thing - exclusive cloth,exclusive breastfeeding, change very regularly (I go through at least 10 nappies per 24 hours), cloth wipes, and we don't get nappy rash.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default MCNs and bad nappy rash!

I would recommend trying an MCN specific detergent like Rockn Green or Ecosprout. How much earths choice are you putting on them? It could be a reaction to the detergent. I was told if I was using liquid earths to use the tiniest amount, but that it's better to use a detergent specially formulated for MCNs...better for your naps too! Good luck!! =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ok so I might do a bicarb and vinegar strip wash, then a wash with just water, and dry them in the sun and try again. My poor baby girl, her rash was so red for weeks and I'm only trying to do the right thing! Yes msmummy shes almost 13 weeks!

I hate the feel and look of disposables.. So wish me luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: MCNs and bad nappy rash!

Don't use vinegar on MCNs! It ruins the PUL and will cause them to no longer be absorbent. If you want to do a strip wash, just use one or two drops of normal dishwashing liquid and do a few rinses after until there aren't any more bubbles.
    A friend if mine recommended coconut oil for nappy rash when using MCNs. Not the cooking kind, it is a special kind you can get from health food stores.
    I hope the rash clears up soon for you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by misscheviuz View Post
    Don't use vinegar on MCNs! It ruins the PUL and will cause them to no longer be absorbent. If you want to do a strip wash, just use one or two drops of normal dishwashing liquid and do a few rinses after until there aren't any more bubbles.
    A friend if mine recommended coconut oil for nappy rash when using MCNs. Not the cooking kind, it is a special kind you can get from health food stores.
    I hope the rash clears up soon for you

Oh ok thanks! I googled strip washing and that's what it recommended so I didn't know

Thanks
    Reviews

We use EcoStore detergent, half the recommended amount. Dry in the sun to bleach stains. Also use EcoStore's nappy cream as it doesn't effect the nappy absorbency like some creams can.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: MCNs and bad nappy rash!

It may have been suggesting vinegar for Terry towelling cloth nappies, which are just the squares, and it is fine for them because they are just the one material type whereas modern cloth nappies can be made of all kinds of things and usually have the PUL layer which can be ruined by a lot of things (such as vinegar, bleach, piercing, etc).
    I make MCNs for a living so I freaked out a bit when I saw the word vinegar in the same sentence lol

Thanks
    Reviews

It sounds like it may be the detergent. Also, I find I have to do a pre wash then a wash with half the amount of recommended detergent and then finish with a rinse cycle. I have a front loader though. Top loaders get more water into the nappy. Make sure your baby gets some time without a nappy on each day as well. Other than that you could buy 1 bamboo MCN or pre fold to see if it's the material.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wash mine with normal detergent (Radiant), then rinse well. I also add in a bit of nappisan to make sure they are thoroughly washed. I sun them as much as possible and it's a pretty good combination. I know a lot of people will argue with me, but I don't agree with babying cloth nappies, they don't need special ultra sensitive detergents (unless of course your baby is allergic to normal detergents), they need thorough cleaning. I've never had repelling issues, my nappies look new (no wear and tear from normal detergents), and we have had no rashes. If my nappies come out smelling dirty, I put them through again and it works

Edited to add, I use bamboo and microfiber pockets (bamboo are softer and absorb more, I highly recommend them), if nappy free time, and really clean nappies is not working try a different material type
    Last edited by Amiedoll; 15-12-2012 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sarelou,

I also bought some nappies from "Real Nappies", and a few weeks into using them did an experiment similar to this one to test how breathable they were compared to disposables:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpCcUznbaI

breathability-test.jpg
    I tested huggies newborn, Real Nappies snug wrap, and a Grovia cover... my baby was using all three types at the time and was also experiencing nappy rash.

I was hoping to prove to my husband that plastic disposables were the equivalent of wrapping our baby's bum in a plastic bag... To my surprise huggies came out on top followed by the Grovia and last was the snug wrap. Used sparingly, huggies are not as bad as I originally thought they were. (Take a close look at the plastic and you'll see it has 'pores')

Unfortunately the real nappies covers are not very breathable and following that experiment I no longer use them. I just use the prefolds on their own or terry squares with no cover.

Do your own experiments... that might be the cause of the rash, your baby's bum might not be able to breathe being in RN snug wraps all day.
    Last edited by debsch; 20-12-2012 at 15:28. Reason: added photo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (21-12-2012)