+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just found out I'm pregnant!

hi, found out I'm pregnant with our first child, such a mix of emotions! Just wondered if there is anything anyone can recommend preg vitamins for someone who has never eaten red meat, underweight (not by choice- overstressed from moving house and partner had a bad accident last year) how can a weak 1 month pregnant gal get strong for baby and herself, all comments POV welcome, where do I start? So excited :-)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy.

I used the Natures Own Pregnancy Platinum multivitamin, but I'm not a vegetarian. If necessary, perhaps you could supplement your iron levels with floradix from the chemist and aim to ensure you are getting plenty of protein from other sources. You might be able to talk to a dietician for more advice on how to manage your diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

Have you been to your GP yet? When you go, ask them to recommend a prenatal vitamin if you haven't already been taking one. They could do a blood test to check your iron levels. Elevit is a popular brand - you need extra iron, protein and folate in pregnancy so you will need to be very careful with your diet if you are vegetarian. Would you consider eating meat during pregnancy? Your blood volume doubles so you do need a lot of extra iron.

Another good idea is to go and buy a pregnancy book that is full of useful information. Some good ones are What to Expect When You're Expecting, and the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was recommended elevit by my doctor.
    I suggest seeing a naturopath. My naturopath friend
    Sent me a bag of vitamin goodies for my first son (can't remember brand name) and i felt fantastic.
    I think u shud take an iron supplement. I eat meat but not often and in small doses, and I eat a lot of foods that contain iron yet I still became anemic in my first trimester.
    I was also underweight with my first son but didn't have any problems with myself or baby. I ate really well, I just recommend eating regular meals of healthy, fresh, clean foods. Lots of veges, fruit, protein alternatives, healthy grains - oats, brown rice, health breads, quinoa, lentils etc . I'd put most of the focus on veg & fruit. Everything ur body needs is found in These foods and your body will take every nutrient and get you super healthy as long as u eat right

It's also a good idea to start gentle regular exercise to strengthen your body so you sleep better, hurt less and have more energy . Walking, pregnancy yoga and pilates are all super gentle and really stretch out your muscles And get you nice and strong to carry your baby for 9 months and helps in delivery too
    (I did yoga in third trimester and it not only helped me physically through pregnancy but also got me through labour drug free and 100% natural)
    Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was recommended elevit by my doctor.
    I suggest seeing a naturopath. My naturopath friend
    Sent me a bag of vitamin goodies for my first son (can't remember brand name) and i felt fantastic.
    I think u shud take an iron supplement. I eat meat but not often and in small doses, and I eat a lot of foods that contain iron yet I still became anemic in my first trimester.
    I was also underweight with my first son but didn't have any problems with myself or baby. I put weight on steadily on fresh foods. I ate really well, I just recommend eating regular meals of healthy, fresh, clean foods. Lots of veges, fruit, protein alternatives, healthy grains - oats, brown rice, health breads, quinoa, lentils etc . I'd put most of the focus on veg & fruit. Everything ur body needs is found in These foods and your body will take every nutrient and get you super healthy as long as u eat right

It's also a good idea to start gentle regular exercise to strengthen your body so you sleep better, hurt less and have more energy . Walking, pregnancy yoga and pilates are all super gentle and really stretch out your muscles And get you nice and strong to carry your baby for 9 months and helps in delivery too
    (I did yoga in third trimester and it not only helped me physically through pregnancy but also got me through labour drug free and 100% natural)
    Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow, thank you all so much, I am coming from total ignorance regarding pregnancy so this really helps. I got Elevit today. I see the doc on Monday. Can't believe how tired I am, always suffered from insomnia... Not anymore! I think going back to yoga (used to do it through teenage years) I think this is a great idea and I have moved to Gold Coast where I know no one but my partner. I sincerely thank you all for taking time to reply, I needed a point in the right direction.

as for red meat, I've never eaten it before and only just tried chicken recently (which I love) I'm familiar with floradix as I used to take it too... not as much constipation as other iron supplements. Many of the foods Miah mentioned are what I love, must get to market I think!