+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cash for XMAS presents

My kids grandmother sends money to me with a list of what she wants bought for the kids. I then use the money to buy it. She lives interstate, so this makes it much cheaper, taking out the postage problems.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    The running joke between DP and I is "gift cards the gift that says I don't know you and let's face it I can't be bothered getting to know you"

Cash is exactly the same except you were to lazy to go to the store.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Doesnt bother me means they can spend it or if they are too young I get to buy something I know they need or would use, saves me having to stand in the return line

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cash for XMAS presents

I love to buy gifts for people so I generally only resort to cash or gift cards if the recipient has proved themselves rude or ungrateful in the past re their selected gifts. someone actually sent us an itemised Xmas list this year, they will most likely receive gift cards :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get people gift cards. Here's an example of some of the gift cards I've done in the past:

SIL - voucher for her favourite makeup shop. I wanted to get her some new brushes, but didn't know which ones she already had.

BIL & SIL - voucher for a very expensive and fancy restaurant they've been wanting to go to for months but can't afford.

Mum - voucher to have her hair done and a massage because she refuses to ever spend any money on herself and I think she deserves some pampering.

Dad - Bunnings gift card because the enjoyment he gets out of walking around that store and daydreaming all of the projects he could do while he chooses the product he would like far outweighs the enjoyment he would get out of knowing that I knew he wanted a hammer.

I don't think it's that bad to give gift cards. Money I'm not a huge fan of, but really can't understand why giving a person a gift card supposedly means you don't care about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I love to buy gifts for people so I generally only resort to cash or gift cards if the recipient has proved themselves rude or ungrateful in the past re their selected gifts. someone actually sent us an itemised Xmas list this year, they will most likely receive gift cards :P
    Omg.. They would be getting nothing from me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm a bit funny about it because I looooove getting presents for people and my mother is hopeless at it. She has always asked me what I want for presents and once I was old enough she would give me the money, I would buy it and then she would wrap it and give it back to me on birthday/Christmas??!?! Coming up to my 21st I cracked it and told her how upsetting I found it that my own mother could not think of something to get me on her own and told her I would honestly rather nothing than to tell her what to get me. She got so angry at me but in the end got me the most beautiful piece of jewellery I will ever own that is so perfectly suited to me. That is the only time I managed to get her to do it. Every year I tell her "if you want to get me something, think of something yourself because I don't care if I get something or not". She gets so bothered by it that I always give in and tell her something cheap. This year I had the novel idea of sending her an email with a list of things I wouldn't mind, saying this way she could choose something I wanted but it would still be a surprise. She thought it was a great idea!...then emailed me right back and said "ok ill get you this and this for your birthday and this for Christmas". I give up....

MIL always gives money but accompanies them with the most beautiful, thoughtful personalised letters/cards that I could never mind! My birthday is a handful of days before Christmas so I always buy a dress to wear on Christmas Day and she loves that.

I don't mind gift cards as long as they're personal to a degree ie DP got me a massage voucher last birthday which I absolutely loved and he knew I would never spend the money on one myself despite really wanting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTICJULZ View Post
    My kids grandmother sends money to me with a list of what she wants bought for the kids. I then use the money to buy it. She lives interstate, so this makes it much cheaper, taking out the postage problems.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    That's understandable. Unfortunately my DS 's cash doesn't even come accompanied by a personal message.

Thanks
    Reviews

My MIL texted me the day before our scheduled Christmas catchup (we are going overseas for Christmas) asking if there was anything DD (7 months) needed or did we just want cash and we could get her something overseas?? DH and I are very upset that she could not be bothered thinking of anything for her granddaughters first Christmas. But she always does things like that - one year she told DH she was getting him nothing as he never told her what he wanted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 8 and she has been learning about the value of money and saving for things she wants. So for her, giving cash makes her day. She will sit and count her cash (even the 5 cent pieces) to see if she has enough for an item. She will then do 'extra' jobs to earn 'bonus' pocket money to try and save for it quicker. So this year for Christmas, my brother (we buy for our kids only- not each other) I suggested just some cash as our DD is saving for other things. I think its so much easier for her than say a barbie she wont use or junk she wont use (or need)!
    We have bought her gifts to open too.

But like another poster said I think it depends on the age of the child also?!?!? I can understand younger children not having the cash- they wouldnt understand it all would they? And I think it is a bit impersonal for younger children too (unless they are understanding money earlier).

As for me, a voucher or cash makes my day!

Just my 2 cents worth