+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Cash for XMAS presents

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I give my nieces and nephews cash as they are so spoilt they have everything and don't appreciate the effort I go to in finding a good gift.
    This reminds me of a time hubby and I brought our then 5 year old nephew a book for a gift. He opened it, turned to his friend and went 'booooorrrrrring.'. Little $hit!
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-12-2012 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
    My mum buys her grand kids a small gift to open on Christmas then puts money into a trust account for when they are older. I love it as the kids aren't being given copious amounts of gift for the sake of it the money adds up to go towards a major purchase when they are older.
    Love that idea!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's a case by case basis. I LOVE receiving cash or gift cards for the local shopping centre, it's far better than I gift I don't love.

We have a 3 nephews up buy for, 3 month old, 6 yr old n 12 year old. The two younger ones are getting presents but the older one cash as he is saving to buy an Xbox or Wii or similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I give most teenagers in our family an iTunes gift card or a supre or surf shop gift card. So they can pick their own thing. Younger kids I give gifts, adults get gifts too- teenagers are too hard and I know how crap it is to have a zillion crap presents

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step grandmother always gives cash...and a massive bag/box of the cheapest most disgusting chocolate ever.

At least with cash it means we aren't getting more cheap crappy chocolate. But I think that for younger kids half the fun is opening presents and being excited over what inside, cash isn't the same

Thanks
    Reviews

I buy presents until they start high school and then they get cash or I take them shopping and they pick something , I always ask the kids what they want and co ordinate in with the parents so I know it's something they really want

My nieces grandfather (on their dads side) has put $500 a year in an account for each of his grandchildren so they can buy a car at 16, my 17 year old niece had over $9000 to buy her first car!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think if its from a grandparent it should be a present, if its a younger child. Does not have to be expensive but just something that's special to the child.

My parents will sometimes buy a smaller present and give cash if they know that there is something that DD is saving for.

I prefer getting little kids presents, I feel like if I give them cash it seems like they didn't really get anything. Teenagers- unless they're the ones I know really well it's always a gift card or cash, they're just too hard!

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't like getting or giving cash or gift cards ( except weddings) as its impersonal, the person hasn't really thought about what to get the other and you know how much someone spent!

My grandmother does give cash to great grankids ( grabdkids also got cash once they were 10 or a teenager) and that's totally fine as she lives 450klm away and is 87. I also like it as I can get DS something he needs.

I did get mum a voucher to a quilting place this year though (along with a book) as she is Sooo hard to buy for and has so much crap at home I don't want to contribute to the mess!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do cash or a City Beach or similiar voucher for the teens in our extended family. It doesn't mean I love them any less but once they hit 14/15 they are very veeeeery hard to buy for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Cash for XMAS presents

I like cash and gifts cards- it's better than giving or receive some rubbish present that will never be used!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (15-12-2012)