+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Cash for XMAS presents

What do you think of people giving cash for Christmas presents?

MIL is in the habit of just giving DS (her grandson) cash for presents. She hasn't bought him one present since he was born, just gives cash.

I hate it: I think it impersonal and it's about gift giving for the sake of Gift giving not because they care.

Its not about the presents either,It's about the thought (or lack of). It's like the person couldn't be bothered to put any effort and thought into the other person. I would rather DS get something with meaning and thought whether it be a $2 second hand book, home made card or a hand me down toy. Even an out of the blue phone call on Christmas day, with a special message would do.

I know there are small some cases where giving cash is a good thing (eg oldies can't get out to shop or newlyweds might benefit from cash). And I know there are worse things a MIL could do than send her grandchild cash. It just bugs me and I thought it would an interesting topic to discuss.

Don't get me started on gift cards and cash together. Sometimes relatives give each other cash and gift cards and it's just like musical wallets everyone ends up back at square one. Keep the $ in your own purse and save everyone the hassle!
    - I did buy 2 gift cards this Christmas so yes I am a hypocrit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Nup, don't like cash, or gift cards for the same reasons you said. Very lazy. I'd rather they donate to charity if they can't be bothered buying a present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it a bit impersonal but there's no one who gives cash in our social circle or family so its not something we have to deal with.

But I do think that if its considered socially acceptable to just ask for money for a wedding present, engagement etc then it can't be that much worse to just decide to give cash for a present?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

delirium  (15-12-2012),youmake3  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm I think it depends on the ageof the kids? My boys (12 and 10) both want cash as there are big items that they are saving for but my MIL refuses to give it to them, instead buying then $200 worth of stuff they don't want or need. All because she wants them to have a present to open.

My girls on the other hand (7 and 5) would prefer gifts as opposed to cash.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cash for XMAS presents

We give gift cards to adults only cause this yr we are at home for Christmas and families are interstate. If we travel down them we buy gifts. As for the kids we sent a gift card to dh dad and asked him to buy presents with it for the kids and wrap them. Just too expensive to post gifts.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't mind receiving cash or a gift card as a present. I am extremely hard to buy for! There are some people that are just impossible to buy for and some people prefer cash or a gift card

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I give my niece and nephews money for Christmas they are aged between 9 & 14, they are always saving for some big ticket item and I know they would appreciate the cash over something else they don't need or want

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I give my nieces and nephews cash as they are so spoilt they have everything and don't appreciate the effort I go to in finding a good gift. However, it must be put towards something they want and they always tell me what they bought with it. I can't afford the presents people want these days, they wouldn't appreciate a simple $20 toy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum buys her grand kids a small gift to open on Christmas then puts money into a trust account for when they are older. I love it as the kids aren't being given copious amounts of gift for the sake of it the money adds up to go towards a major purchase when they are older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I give 3 of my nieces and nephews money, they're to hard to but for (20,15 and 12)

I would prefer money to something that I didn't have a use for
    Good point I think young teenagers who might not have a job yet might really like the cash!