+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Tommee Tippee bottles and Medela Pump?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I'm due in a month with first LO and intend to breastfeed but thought it would be a good idea to have bottles and a pump on hand in case I have difficulty with my supply. I was given Tommee Tippee bottles and a sterilizer as a gift, but have read bad reviews of the Tommee Tippee pump. I'd like to use a Medela pump. Am I able to use a Medela Pump with Tommee Tippee bottles?

Also, since this is my first bub and I have no idea how I'll go with breastfeeding, should I spend extra on an electric pump or get a manual; OR wait until bub is born then decide what to buy? Or is it better to have the pump available right after birth?

Finally, I've read amazing things about the Medela Swing but it seems quite pricey. Is it worth the money? Is the Medela mini electric pump comparable? Any advice would be really helpful

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi are the tommee tippee bottles
    Closer to nature ones? If so the neck on those r too wide to screw onto a medela breast pump but you can still use those bottles to feed baby from. Medela pump will come
    With a bottle to collect milk with and standard narrow neck bottles will fit. With regards to a breast pump I would wait until bubs is born and see if you want or need one! The medela swing is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Agree with PP - wait until bub is born before buying a pump. You may not need it at all or at least for awhile.

The Medela Swing is fantastic - personally I found it well worth the money. Am about to it use again.

As PP said, it comes with 1-2 bottles to collect milk in, which you could just transfer to the TT ones if you prefer those. Otherwise when DS1 was younger, I just used the supplied Medela bottles for EBM anyway as they don't drink much at that age. I did buy the TT bottles for when he started drinking more though, they were good.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bumping an old thread ladies, I was going to ask same thing as OP so just wondered if anyone else has any more to add.
    Do you recommend having a pump on hand in case or better to wait and see?
    DP is very keen to be involved with feeding even though I plan on BF so am thinking I'll need to be doing some expressing. I am concerned about confusion for bubs in first 12 weeks - has anyone used BF in conjunction with EBM in bottles successfully or is this just a massive no no? Thanks, totally clueless!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Missie Mack, sounds like you're a pro with this stuff 😉
    Awesome recommendation on the unimom, can't believe how much cheaper they are for what appears to be a much better system with just as many glowing reviews as the medela.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to greenfairy For This Useful Post:

karisha  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use the medela symphony. I was using the medela harmony which is a manual and this is electric so it is better for me as I can just jump on bubhub while it is pumping and I don't get bored and give up. However never used others so don't know about comparisons.

As for the confusion I waited until around 10 or12 weeks from memory before giving a bottle of EBM and haven't had any trouble with nipple confusion, that being said he has only had 4 in total.

But as missie mack said don't introduce a bottle or start pumping too early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I love the medela pump but really dont like TT bottles.