+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default C25K success stories?

Hey ladies,

I've just bitten the bullet and started the C25K program and oh my gosh I'm soooo unfit! What I would love is to hear if anyone else went from no exercise at all to this program and was actually able to complete it. How did you go? Did you have to repeat weeks? I think I'm going have to redo the first day already lol
    Basically is this a realistic program or am I setting myself up for failure??
    Thanks!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I started with C25K when I decided I wanted to get fit. It's GREAT! I did it on my treadmill as I had a young bub that I couldn't run outside with.
    I had to repeat weeks several times, don't beat yourself up if you do have to. It's a very realistic program so long as you DO NOT give up on yourself if you have a bad day (or week!).

I'll be doing it again when I've had this bub because I know it works. I had never ever been even slightly fit when I started it and by the end I was running 5km every second day. Sure, it was hard work but the differences you notice are so worth it .

I think it took me about 6-8 weeks longer to complete the program because I had troubles with my hips about half way through and had to stop to recover. Then I re-started the program once I'd gotten to being able to run for 20 minutes because I wanted to up my running speed. I felt like crap starting from the very beginning again and feeling like I hadn't achieved anything but it was very worth it.

But the main thing is to not give up. A lot of people get half way through and then decide it's all too much or that life has gotten in the way. I promise you, the feeling you get when you've run your first 5km is incredible and definitely worth it .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much! I've never really been a runner and it did feel really demoralising when I did the first day this morning and was completely exhausted just over half way (I did complete it though!). Am determined to lose weight and so I'm hoping this will help me cause can't afford gym membership anymore lol

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. I have done it and it is FANTASTIC. I had to repeat weeks. I think I may have done the second week for about 3 weeks and they 5th week a few times too. If you have to repeat weeks so be it, it is better to be out there than sitting on the couch. I had not run since highschool so 20+ years. It is manageable and I feel so much better for it.
    Have fun xx
    I now run 4 times a week, and feel so much healthier and have lost heaps of weight too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did c25k earlier this year. I did stop at week 5 after getting sick and then started again from week 3 a few months later. I found the podrunner free music downloads really helpful and went from c25k straight onto "gateway to 8k". I'm now running 10k three times a week and 20k on Saturdays. I was completely unfit and demoralised when I started so I'd definitely call my experience with c25k a success. Stick with it and repeat as many weeks as you need to

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am just about to start week 5 and just like you, was sooooo unfit when I started. The first day I felt like I was going to die, I was seriously pushing it to run 60 seconds. So far every week I think i'm going to have to repeat but I haven't yet. I give it a go and surprise myself every time. At the moment I am able to jog for 5 minutes no stop. That is huge for me because even when I was younger I wasn't able to do that much. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol I felt like I was going to die after the first 4 sets of running. Glad that it gets easier though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it!!!

I went from sitting on my butt all day every day in an office job, to being able to run non-stop for 45 minutes (8km was my record)! That was on a treadmill, though. I run slower outdoors.

I had to repeat weeks many times - I did week 4 eight times due to injury! But eventually (after buying a more appropriate pair of shoes and working to strengthen my non-existent gluts), I got through it!

It took me about 6 months to be able to run for 45 minutes non-stop, but it was/is so worth it!

I went from a 59kg bulgy size 10, to a 51kg well fitting size 6 (but obviously now have more muscle tone!).

You can totally do it! There were times where I thought I would die if I pushed through, but I survived!

You know the funny thing? Sometimes when I have AF or I'm not feeling well and want an easier workout, I still do Week 4. I've done it so many times now, it's really grown on me

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol! Will see how I feel about week 4 once I get there. After this mornings experience I can't see myself becoming attached to any of it :-p

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You won't if you're anything like me. You'll probably not be keen on the idea of getting out there and doing it.
    But afterwards... Oh my gosh. For me the reward is ENTIRELY in the feel good factor afterwards. I mean sure the endorphins help but for me it's more that I can sit down on my bum and be entirely ok with that because I did something that I know in the past I could never have even dreamed of doing .

I hate it every day while I'm doing it. I'm sweaty, gross, puffed and feeling like everyone's looking at me thinking "Watch that flubber fly!!!" BUT I CAN DO IT!!! I'd like to see their saggy @$es try to do the same thing! *dies of laughter*.

I was at the point of doing 5km every second day and 10km once a week usually on the weekend. The fact that I've run 10km in the past (can't do that at the moment, darn pregnancy!) is enough to make me motivated to start up again after this bub is born.
    I LOVE being the only person in my family that can run that far .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (06-01-2013)