+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been trying to convince my extended family to ditch our secret santa and just give to a charity. I would really rather spend my $20 on giving something to someone who has nothing or nothing for their children than giving a $20 gift that is probably not what my aunty or uncle or cousin wants, and similarly receiving a $20 gift that I don't actually need. We don't have much money left over at the end of each fortnight but we get by and if I need a $20 item I can generally scrape the money together at some stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I know people don't like to hear this...

We give to our local church- they have a list of needy families and ages/sizes of their kiddies- so this year we have bought rash vests, barbies and hair ties for 3 little girls from the one family- the local priest is going to pick them up this weekend and the nun checks all the parcels are appropriate (some people are apparently nasty) then she and other parishioners wrap and deliver to the families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    One other option is the Givit list which is a list of specific requests for specific charities ... they are trying to empty their wish list and are super close to doing so. In particular they are looking for a pram for someone in Queensland who is expecting a bub soon. http://www.givit.org.au/The-givit-list.aspx

Where possible I give to our local charities who I know and can research what they are doing with donations. Another option for Victorian mums is to donate 2nd hand goods to St Kilda Mums (info via facebook).
    The Giveit list is really amazing. I work in mental health and some of our clients have utilised this to obtain furniture for their place. The items go directly to those in need

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cleigh- Yes you can just walk in and donate I have contacted ours in town and asked them if they would like gifts for children and toiletries and they said a big yes!

I made up 4 gift bags for women with all the essentials (and a little bit of makeup) and dropped them off. They were very grateful. I have also donated brand new childrens linen and childrens toys. I have always rung a day or two beforehand just to inform them (as you can't go inside the building) and handed it to them at the door. I have received two thank-you letters which I thought was very kind of them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I donated 3 children's gifts at my local Kmart Wishing Tree today. I agree with everyone on how much more important it is to give to those in need than to ourselves who don't want for the basics or for something special for Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews

St Kilda mums is a great organisations who work in conjunction with many reputable charities. Donate to them new or preloved gift sand you can be sure you are helping out those in need.

Thanks
    Reviews

We donate through our church. Gifts this year are going to the women's prison for the inmates to give to their children. Our star (indicating the age and sex of the child) asked that we organise something for an 11 year old girl who liked to write and draw - so I bought a bumper set of sparkly gel pens, good pencils, a sketch pad and a diary.

A local church is a good place to ask if they are doing a gift drive that you can donate to.

I used to do the Kmart/Big W tree until I went into the post Christmas sales a few years ago only to find the gifts were still under the tree 2 days after Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    Cleigh- Yes you can just walk in and donate I have contacted ours in town and asked them if they would like gifts for children and toiletries and they said a big yes!

I made up 4 gift bags for women with all the essentials (and a little bit of makeup) and dropped them off. They were very grateful. I have also donated brand new childrens linen and childrens toys. I have always rung a day or two beforehand just to inform them (as you can't go inside the building) and handed it to them at the door. I have received two thank-you letters which I thought was very kind of them.
    Thanks for posting this. You prompted me to ring and I've found out where my nearest centre is. I'm going to prepare some gift baskets over the weekend and go through my wardrobe and take some of my new never worn clothes in. I'm also going to take my kids with me so they can see not everyone is as lucky as the are at Christmas time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    The Giveit list is really amazing. I work in mental health and some of our clients have utilised this to obtain furniture for their place. The items go directly to those in need
    I can donate the pram! I have just ordered a bjcs and have no use for the bruin pram we have. But they need it in Maroochydore and I am in Brisbane. Wish I could drop it off somewhere in Brisbane the website says that I can't but I have emailed just to check anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great Sonya! I am sure they will appreciate it