+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Online you can
    Yoda? Is that you?!

OP thanks for the reminder. I usually order online, trying to buy one on behalf of each of my children. I'd been putting it off, will do it tonight

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (14-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I don't think you get that much money for temporarily raising someone's child,

As a foster parent you are NOT 'looking after' a child that is not yours, you are not the baby sitter or fun aunt that pops by, you are raising the child,

I do not know how payments work for short term / undetermined length stays for foster children but the payment appears to be sweet **** all,

Most foster parents aren't rich, most foster because of a love for children.
    i know a foster mum who's daughter went to kindy with my son this year and she usually has anywhere around 2/5 foster kids at a time as well as her own childeren they dont get huge money for it at all .

Thanks
    Reviews

I give things directly to a Womens & children's shelter for abused people , usually leave their homes with nothing except what's on their back.
    Just gave them all my daughters clothes & my good condition bras that don't fit anymore

Thanks
    Reviews

And some new items that we didn't want/need (double up bday pressies etc)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah I give a few gifts to the wishing tree each year. Havent done it yet this year, so thanks for the reminder.

I am so very lucky, I see it as a valuable lesson to my daughter to provide something for children who are less fortunate than her - and I would be more than happy for the gifts to go to foster children ... in whatever circumstances they are in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.
    Ah VP I missed you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Who cares if the foster children are getting a 'top up' present as opposed to 'one present' this holiday season? They are in foster care. Clearly things aren't good in their lives. I would hope they get lots of lovely presents. It might make them feel happy and thought of and part of the family. Their own little possessions which might provide security, familiarity and happiness. I am happy to contribute to that whilst the carers spend the small amount they get to actually raising them and allowing them to have a better life.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

MrsLA  (15-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.
    Yes.. at my work we have Christmas week, and one of those days is a day of giving.. each team is allocated a family, we all chip in money to put together a hamper and Christmas presents. The family we have this year is a recently single mum with 2 sons who couldn't even afford to pay the electricity bill since her husband left. Her kids clothes and shoes are riddled with holes.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    Who cares if the foster children are getting a 'top up' present as opposed to 'one present' this holiday season? They are in foster care. Clearly things aren't good in their lives. I would hope they get lots of lovely presents. It might make them feel happy and thought of and part of the family. Their own little possessions which might provide security, familiarity and happiness. I am happy to contribute to that whilst the carers spend the small amount they get to actually raising them and allowing them to have a better life.
    Good point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by the girls mum View Post
    Wow Vicpark really?

It's a sad day when someone begrudges a kid for getting more then their $5 truck!

I guess sometimes some kids might get a present that already have their $5 truck or $2 reject shop toy - I can live with that.

Thankfully there are people out there who give a sh1t. -
    I was just wondering how 'needy' some of the recipients were. If if wasn't for the donation, would they have no presents at all? Or are donations used as 'top up' presents in which case where did society become so commercially and selfishly driven that the expectation is kids will get multiple presents?

Why do kids have to have multiple presents in order to feel loved and secure? Or a bit of joy? Can't these thing be accomplished with little or no money? What about the olden days of the great depression where there was little money to go round and kids made each other presents? Where instead of buying a $120 Barbie swimming pool, kids used to fill up mum's Tupperware container with water and let Barbie take a dip in that.

I hope someone gets the point I'm trying to make....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

miztrezz  (15-12-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast