+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.
    Really?

Don't quote me but I'm PRETTY sure that you're not going to see any genuine responses to your 'genuine' interest. Because a parent that can't afford to buy a $5 truck for their child probably isn't going to be using a computer connected to the internet, now are they?

So yeah, not 'guilting yourself' because you can't be provided with many (or any) personal experiences isn't logical. It's pretty much just saying "I can't see it so it must not exist".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I know someone who work at one of the sorting/processing places for one of the big charities. As an employer, she can buy whatever she wants at an even lower price than it was going to get sold for in the shop....so the staff get 'first dibs' on anything that goes through. The stuff she used to get was amazing. Its a bit sad to think that it goes on, but it does.
    I really do hope that the giving tree gifts get to where they are intended to go, I honestly do.
    I knew there was a reason they never have any decent handbags!

Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.
    Yes, there are. In surprising places and circumstances sometimes. I donate all my baby clothes and toys she grows out of to the organisation my mother works for as she regularly has people come in suddenly homeless or jobless and with no way to support their children. Charities and the government help to an extent, but you'd be surprised at the hoops you have to jump through sometimes.
    Personally my DH and I were both laid off a few weeks before Christmas a few years ago due to flood damage at our workplace and it took everything we had to continue paying rent, let alone put Xmas pressies under the tree for a little one. We were lucky to have great family support and a freezer full of food at the time. Unfortunately some people don't have that...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Really?

Don't quote me but I'm PRETTY sure that you're not going to see any genuine responses to your 'genuine' interest. Because a parent that can't afford to buy a $5 truck for their child probably isn't going to be using a computer connected to the internet, now are they?

So yeah, not 'guilting yourself' because you can't be provided with many (or any) personal experiences isn't logical. It's pretty much just saying "I can't see it so it must not exist".
    Ok let me re-phrase. I find it hard to believe that parents are not in a position to buy their child at least one present from the $2 shop or Vinnies. Sure there my be a very (very) tiny minority who may find themselves in a position of not having presents for kids a day or two before Christmas (eg having to flee home leaving presents due to an abusive spouse).

I think with a majority of parents and kids expectations with Christmas have been blown out of proportion: kids don't need 4 x $60 presents. A $5 truck from the reject shop should do. Where did kids learn such high expectations?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (17-12-2012),youmake3  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Vicpark - this is from another thread.

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1226536197293

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

And people in women's refuges / shelters with nothing but the clothes on their backs? I'm sure some of those kids would love a $5 toy. That's where the gifts often go. For that reason we'll continue to give.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mummabear27 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-12-2012),Eko  (14-12-2012),RainbowSky  (14-12-2012),youmake3  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

I always buy a gift or 2 each year for the wishing tree or similar.

When I worked with kids in residential and foster care I actually got to see how these gifts were used first hand. As an organisation we were given a stack of gifts from one of these wishing trees. We were them able to pick out gifts for the children in our residential homes, and also the foster carers within our organisation were able to come and pick out a few gifts for the foster children in their care.

These gifts DO bring joy to children who don't have much or who are not with their families over the holiday season. It's definitely a worth while cause and one close to my heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Like I said above. Some children don't have some one to play Santa for them so the kindness of strangers is what will make their Christmas special.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    I always buy a gift or 2 each year for the wishing tree or similar.

When I worked with kids in residential and foster care I actually got to see how these gifts were used first hand. As an organisation we were given a stack of gifts from one of these wishing trees. We were them able to pick out gifts for the children in our residential homes, and also the foster carers within our organisation were able to come and pick out a few gifts for the foster children in their care.

These gifts DO bring joy to children who don't have much or who are not with their families over the holiday season. It's definitely a worth while cause and one close to my heart.
    I don't doubt the joy gifts bring children. I just wonder what percentage of "wishing tree" gifts go towards 'topping up' a kids stash as opposed to being their soul gift?

For example with foster kids, surely the foster parents can afford a $5 toy for the kid, especially considering the allowances they get for looking after kids that aren't their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Some of the gifts we received for the foster children from the wishing tree were quite substantial and would have been out of the foster carers budget. These would have been their main presents.

The same goes for the children in residential homes. The res houses have such tight budgets that large gifts are not able to be bought, especially when they have 4-5 children/young people in each house.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

For example with foster kids, surely the foster parents can afford a $5 toy for the kid, especially considering the allowances they get for looking after kids that aren't their own.
    Every foster parent I know spends waaaay more than the "allowance" on their foster children every single week.
    I for one certainly don't begrudge a fostered child a donated gift.

Hardly topping up a "stash".

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

*Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (14-12-2012),BH-KatiesMum  (14-12-2012),Eko  (14-12-2012),TnA  (14-12-2012)