Online you can

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Really? Where abouts? Would love too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I know someone who work at one of the sorting/processing places for one of the big charities. As an employer, she can buy whatever she wants at an even lower price than it was going to get sold for in the shop....so the staff get 'first dibs' on anything that goes through. The stuff she used to get was amazing. Its a bit sad to think that it goes on, but it does.
    I really do hope that the giving tree gifts get to where they are intended to go, I honestly do.
    That's very sad to hear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for reading my post, if I have inspired anyone that's amazing! I have been and placed a gift under the wishing tree and feel grateful that I am in a position that can do this. I am not 100% sure of how in need they are but I am sure that with costs increasing more people require assistance.

Merry Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews

I give a few small gifts each year, a little girl, little boy and a mum and dad. Only about $10 each but I think it's just the thought that counts. It's nice to just have something to open :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Really? Where abouts? Would love too!
    Not sure.. Saw it one of those trashy a current affair shows. I think it may have been on the kmart site but failing that i'm sure you could do it on the salvos site.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I know someone who work at one of the sorting/processing places for one of the big charities. As an employer, she can buy whatever she wants at an even lower price than it was going to get sold for in the shop....so the staff get 'first dibs' on anything that goes through. The stuff she used to get was amazing. Its a bit sad to think that it goes on, but it does.
    I really do hope that the giving tree gifts get to where they are intended to go, I honestly do.
    Yep I have a friends mum who works in a similar place and its exactly the same. Staff get first pick of anything that comes in so obviously they are taking most of the really awesome, high quality and higher cost items. She brings home car loads and hands stuff out to all her family/friends. I have never accepted anything as I think its so wrong. That is sadly allowed where she works so she's not going against her works policy.

This is a salvos type place...I am sure the wishing trees are better regulated and the stuff hopefully gets to people in need.

It is definitely off putting but I still donate and hope that somehow it makes a tiny difference somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Just did it gifts for a girl, a boy, and a baby. Got the warm fuzzies. Also donated to the Smith Family to have them gift wrapped to save me leavin the shopping centre and coming back. I hope that I can make even a small difference to a child or two this Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews

My mum volunteers at an Op shop (not sorting centre). She gets something like 50% off her first few purchases then 25% off any purchases after that. She doesn't come home with carloads of things, but she has bought me a few really nice things. Anyway, back to my point, she says clothes donations are down from previous years, as people are selling their clothes on eBay instead. So even donating clothes to be sold is a good thing to do at this time of year.

DS is only 7 months but I love the thought of instilling the idea of giving, by incorporating donating a gift at Christmas to those less fortunate.

At a previous workplace, I donated a day to a charity. I spent the day unwrapping Christmas presents, sorting them into gender and ages and shelving them, so social workers could select appropriate gifts for needy children. So I think unwrapped gifts could more easily, and quickly, get to those without.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are there really cases where 'Santa' can't afford $5 for a toy truck? Genuinely interested in genuine responses. Until then I'm not going to guilt myself.
    It's not about guilt, try empathy.

And seriously, some people don't have a stable roof over their head, I doubt a $5 truck is high on their list of priorities when basic human needs for food & shelter aren't being met.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Doc  (14-12-2012),gizmoduckus  (14-12-2012)