+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What if Santa forgot?

I seen on TV this morning that the Salvation Army and the Kmart wishing tree is considerably down on gifts this year. Every year I have the intention of purchasing a gift so I can make Christmas a little more special for a child less fortunate than my girls, but every year I get caught up in the hussle and bussle and I don't. Well not this year! I am going today and buying a gift to place under the tree, to show my girls that the gift of giving is the best gift of all.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (14-12-2012),MrsLA  (14-12-2012),P0tat0gem  (14-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (14-12-2012),twotrunks  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like giving trees etc and always feel good fir donating. But the ads the charities put out at this time of year really can get up my nose.

Some of them are so heavy on the guilt. And while I think people should always endeavour to give to the less fortunate, its really poor form to try and make people who are fortunate feel guilty for being able to afford those luxuries.

Sorry. Just had to get that out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (15-12-2012),winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have something at home that I've been meaning to take, I also get caught up in how busy I am and often don't get around to it... Will definitely remember to take it tonight.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do donate (and happily so) to the Salvos but I am starting to query how much they get. Don't get me wrong, I am sure a lot of people are accessing these services but in my town it seems like so many businesses are donating to the food and toy appeals along with private donations and they are saying they barley have anything. Is it a 'ploy' because people like to donate at this time of the year and it keeps there stocks up or is it a genuine thing? Even if it is a way to keep stocks up, I think good on them as clearly it has to be done this way to help people. I am glad we live in a town were people can access these items for their family.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    I do donate (and happily so) to the Salvos but I am starting to query how much they get. Don't get me wrong, I am sure a lot of people are accessing these services but in my town it seems like so many businesses are donating to the food and toy appeals along with private donations and they are saying they barley have anything. Is it a 'ploy' because people like to donate at this time of the year and it keeps there stocks up or is it a genuine thing? Even if it is a way to keep stocks up, I think good on them as clearly it has to be done this way to help people. I am glad we live in a town were people can access these items for their family.
    I think they probably get a lot as they give a lot to those who don't really need it.
    I've received a food package from them?? I'm not in a position where i can't afford food. It was such a waste.
    I would have prefered it gone to someone who really needed it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our local council does a drive each year, very similar to the Kmart wishing tree where you buy a gift to donate, and put a tag on it indicating what sex and age group it would be appropriate for, then the council donates to everyone in the municipality who has applied for hardship assistance in that year.
    I think its great that my donations are going directory back to my community, and that every cent that I donate is given to people in need.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsLA For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

You've inspired me. I can't bear the thought of a 3 year old boy like mine not receiving anything from Santa this year. I'm going to donate some trucks under the wishing tree

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have always donated gifts every year. This year though I have moved to a rural town and have no idea where I can donate too? :/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: What if Santa forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I have always donated gifts every year. This year though I have moved to a rural town and have no idea where I can donate too? :/
    Online you can

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know someone who work at one of the sorting/processing places for one of the big charities. As an employer, she can buy whatever she wants at an even lower price than it was going to get sold for in the shop....so the staff get 'first dibs' on anything that goes through. The stuff she used to get was amazing. Its a bit sad to think that it goes on, but it does.
    I really do hope that the giving tree gifts get to where they are intended to go, I honestly do.