+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Easy, makeshift fencing for garden?

Hi, Am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to post some photos of any makeshift fencing they have put up around their gardens for some ideas?

My dog has destroyed what I was hoping to be my first Veggie garden.. As we rent, I need something that can be put up and taken down easily.

A few friends have suggested chicken wire, but I'm not sure how to go about actually putting it up so if anyone uses this method or something similar, I'd love to see a photo so I can see how you have gone about it!

TIA x

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just used the metal garden stakes from bunnings/stratco and this wire fence stuff- it was advertised to grow tomatoes on. Pretty much it was a thicker stronger version of chicken wire, our dog is a big husky so it needed to be pretty high and strong.

Will try to get a pic later

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently the garden stake things we used are actually called star droppers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! we had the same problem and we used chicken wire... cheap and easy and it worked. We had it everywhere! now he knows he's not supposed to go in the veggie/flower beds so we took it down except for a corner. Here is the pic... basically we put two or three sticks at each end and intertwined the chicken wire so that he (the dog) wouldn't just barge through it.
    I cant load the pics... hope you get the drift from my description...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay.. so are the sticks/stakes at each end and you actually wrap the wire between them on either end as a means of holding the wire up?

I don't know how to do it as I would like to get some more smaller raised garden beds going though I would like to set a certain amount of space aside for the area I'm thinking of.. Though DH still needs to access it with the mower for now also...

I have been trialling some other methods for the time being but it seems the little kids raised bed I am using for now is driving my dog crazy? I have sprinkled black pepper on the veggies and herbs and also sprayed citronella around the base of the bed to help deter her.. But maybe she LIKES the citronella as this morning it looks like she has been digging around the base of the garden bed.. So I might avoid that method for now, though the pepper seems to be working so far!

Still, As I get more beds going I think I might still attempt a fence.. any photos would be fantastic, and thanks for trying ciaomamma x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh we are the masters of temporary fencing!! We use metal star pickets (or any bit of straight timber DH can get in the ground), zip ties (don't bother fussing with wire) and tomato trellis. We've found rolls of tomato trellis is cheaper than chicken wire. Although if your dog is only little it may be able to get through the gaps in tomato trellis so you might have to get chicken wire.

All you have to do is bash the star picket into the ground, then unroll you fence wire and attach at each star picket with a few zip ties. I've attached a couple of photos. We've also made a very dodgy gate into our grassed area so DH can get in and mow. It's just an offcut of pool fencing attached to a post with some zip ties. It doesn't look pretty but it keeps the dog out!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 17-12-2012 at 07:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (18-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow decemberbubba that looks like hard work... we just stuck some sticks on the ground... haha your DH must be handy!
    i cant upload photos!!!! i must be doing something wrong... so annoying however december bubba is putting our temporary fencing to shame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had lots of practice We have probably done over 100m of fencing off gardens etc. around our yard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    We've had lots of practice We have probably done over 100m of fencing off gardens etc. around our yard.
    your doggy must love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Opps forgot to come bac with a pic!

Ours looks exactly the same as decemberbubbas though