+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Organising a baby shower for someone else - etiquette and responsibilites

A friend of mine has just asked me to organise a baby shower for her. I need some advice on how to go about this, and what you (whether you've hosted one or had a baby shower thrown for you) think are the things I need to do.

I had a baby shower, but I mostly organised it myself with the help of my mother and held it at their house. I kinda didn't realise you were supposed to have a baby shower thrown 'for' you until recently.

So I guess I need to know, what do you think are the responsibilities of a host? What are the things I just completely take over and organise? Do you think I should pay for everything (invitations, decorations, food etc?) or does the person give me money and I just organise it? What do you think the etiquette is there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont know about the money thing. But it seems pretty cheeky to ask someone to throw you a party and then expect them to pay for it.

For all the other stuff I'd just ask the pregnant friend if they had any specific kind of shower in mind (eg: traditional with games etc, or a lunch with girlfriends) or is she happy for you to just take over. That way you'll avoid her getting all hormonal and cranky if its not what she wants.

And you'll need to get her input on things like gift registries or present idea or whether she doesn't want gifts etc anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Organising a baby shower for someone else - etiquette and responsibilites

I've thrown a few baby showers over the years. Usually, it is thrown for the mum to be by a friend.

I held it at my house and organized and paid everything myself.
    I just did an afternoon tea type thing and had some simple decorations and games.

The cost can add up depending on how many people are invited or how fancy you want to make it.
    If you have a mutual friend that is willing to co-host, then you could share the cost.

I wish I had someone to help me out when I did them, as the cost can be a lot and hosting can be a bit stressful (running around setting up, cooking, cleaning etc).

Thanks
    Reviews

I also agree with WineTime that its a bit cheeky of your friend asking you to throw one for her.
    She should have waited for someone to have offered- as not everyone would want to organise one or has the money to do it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabelle For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

My sister and mum helped with my baby shower but I didn't expect them to pay for everything!

I did the invitations as that was easier than them chasing me for a guest list and addresses. Perhaps you can ask your friend to do that?

I asked guests to RSVP to my sister and I gave her a list of baby things we already had so people didn't double up. Also gave her a few ideas incase people asked.

We all did the food. If you and your friend share mutual friends perhaps you can ask a few to bring a plate so it's not all put on you? We did an afternoon tea-anti pasto platter, dips, mini quiches & sausage rolls. Did cupcakes instead of a big cake. Tea, coffee and a alcohol free punch.

Check with your friend whether she wants games or activities. I didn't want anything like this. The shower was just a chance to catch up with people before bub was born, but everyone's different.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Organising a baby shower for someone else - etiquette and responsibilites

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I don't mind doing it, but if everything is going to be at my expense that will make it hard! She's not really cheeky or pushy, she is a lovely person and is a great friend, but we're not really that close which makes it hard. She doesn't speak to her family and the friends she does have are young and not really 'baby shower host' material! It was probably a big thing for her to ask me, because I don't think anyone around her would offer, so I do feel honored she asked me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to curlyhead21 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think if you offer to throw it then you pay but if she has asked then she pays.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

curlyhead21  (14-12-2012),WineTime  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Organising a baby shower for someone else - etiquette and responsibilites

I would either speak to her (or email) and ask her what kind of shower she would like, does she have a list of guests to be invited, what is her budget, does she want a gift registry, etc. So basically just chucking in the question about budget amongst the others.

Obviously speaking directly with her would be good....but I reckon maybe an email in this instance could be better. Most of those questions require a bit of thought to answer. So I would send the email, but finish with that I would give her a call on the weekend to discuss ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

^^^^ that's a good idea, slip in a budget question..

Or could you plan it for a cafe/restaurant then everyone pays their own meals? Then you just decorate a table.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think someone would expect a friend to pay for their baby shower. So I agree with an email about things she wants and then slip in a question about the budget.
    A friend of mine is helping with my baby shower, but she was very honest and said she can't afford to contribute much. I never actually thought about her contributing anything! So we sorted that out quick smart. hopefully you have the same situation.