+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick new born, sick mummy!

Hey ladies,

So ds2 came down with some cold thing which I now have, my throat is on fire and runny/blocked nose. I think my 2 week old has it now also, she's having trouble feeding and has been crying a lot more than usual, is there anyway I can help her feed with her runny nose?

I feel terrible for her, especially if she got the sore throat too.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

You can use the little suction thing to help clear her nose, and also fess for little noses seems to work well too (and I *think* is fine for a two week old)

People also say breast milk has some wonderful healing properties, so just keep doing what you're doing by giving her the good stuff and she'll be back to normal in no time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You could try a vaporizer overnight. I second fess for little noses, it's great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you poor thing - it's so hard being sick with a newborn, and even harder watching such a little baby suffering.

This happened to me when my baby was 3 weeks old - I agree about the good stuff in the breastmilk, and the doctor told me to do smaller feeds more often (I know - seems crazy when you are feeding around the clock anyway!) while he was sick. I also put some eucalyptus oil on a cloth nappy or face washer and placed in his room or near him while he slept and I think that helped him breath more clearly and it helped me too. You could also try using a humidifier with eucalyptus oil in it which are really good too -may help with congestion if you have one in the room with you at night.

No other advice sorry but hope you all get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Fess in the nose or squirting with a minuscule amount of saline is all they will recommend. A trip to your gp wouldn't hurt as your bub is so young and to check there are no respiratory issues.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are also going through this at the moment! As others have said, fess, frequent small feeds, and vaporizer. We have also raised one end of the cot to help with congestion. DS has slept semi-upright in his swing for a few nights as he couldn't breathe properly lying down on his back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of mummy cuddles as well as the fess and sucker if needed.

My LO and I got sick from his little cousins at 4 weeks old and he seemed to get over it quicker than me and not get as bad as me. He has been better for about two weeks where as I still have the remnants of it.

Hang in there, hope you all get better quick.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone! I'll get some of this fess, and a sucker. Might even try the booby milk up the nose!

We had an awful night, I don't think I've ever had so little sleep! I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll get some of this fess, and a sucker. Might even try the booby milk up the nose!

We had an awful night, I don't think I've ever had so little sleep! I'm willing to try anything!
    You poor thing - hope you can both catch up on some sleep today

Thanks
    Reviews

Me too, DH and I have dedicated today to rest and movies and naps!