+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Extended breastfeeding

Ok so I hope I have this right..extended bf is past one year?
    Anyways my bub is only 8 months and I am beginning to wonder how long i will bf for. I always thought it would be at 1 year old but now I am more comfortable with the concept of baby led weaning.
    So would love to hear from any extended bf-er's! How did your body cope? How did your partner cope? How did you respond to others questions & potential negative comments? Did bub have a cup with meals or any cows milk at all? When is bub likely to wean?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

I must mention that I think extended bf should be celebrated not shamed as it is by alot of people!
    Also i am lucky that I am a wahm so can continue bf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi, I got to 8mths with DS1 (weaned due to biting). I was devastated. I wanted to make it to 12mths at least.

With DS2 I wanted to get to 12mths. I thought id wean him then. He is now 19mths and we are still feeding morning and night (and during the day if he needs comfort, though this is rare). Im not sure how long we will go for. Probably 24mths, but then again when we got to 12mths we werent ready to wean, so we might go longer than 24mths too.

Ive not had any comments (we feed at morning in bed and at night at home). He hasnt needed booby while out. If anyone said anything to me i would tell them where to go.

Bub has cows milk during the day (if he claws at my chest during the day i give him cows milk or water instead). Im not sure when he is going to wean. We will wait and see

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Extended breastfeeding

I'm still feeding my 20 month old. He won't take a bottle and rarely drinks milk or eats dairy so thats the main reason I continued. I'm now 38 weeks pregnant so I'm also about to start tandem feeding which should be interesting! The only negative comments I've received is in relation to tandem feeding and my ds doesn't need it and will be taking it from my newborn. But my midwives have all said there is nothing to worry about. My dp was a little against it at first and still doesn't completely like it but he sees how much ds loves it so he's given up asking when I'm going to wean him.

Personally I love feeding my ds at this age. I love seeing the comfort it gives him and I love seeing how much he enjoys it! It's really wonderful having that special bond especially as they get into the difficult toddler stage when the tantrums start...you always have that quiet time just the 2 of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I fed my first son until a bit after his second birthday. So not super extended, but longer than average in Australia.

It wasn't particularly physically onerous, but I found by around 2, I had had enough of being grabbed by a toddler and decided to wean.

It was a fairly gradual weaning. He always had bottles of EBM while I was at work, so was used to bottles. At around 20 months, I couldn't express enough, so started giving him toddler formula while at work. Then I night weaned him at 2 (he was still having one dreamfeed around 1am). then a couple of months later, I started refusing feeds. He took it pretty well. I did let him have bottles instead though until about 3. He stopped the bottles without any distress.

My second son is almost 3 months, and I'm hoping to feed him for about 2 years as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (14-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I aimed for 12 months originally too

I fell pg with my dd when my ds was 14 months, thought he would wean then but he was such a milky bar kid we ended up feeding the entire pregnancy and then tandem fed for another 5 months then i weaned him. My Dd is 16 months and still going strong.

I never talk/talked about my b/f relationships with anyone other than those I know to be totally supportive. TBH I couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks.

Breastfeeding a toddler is the most amazing, rewarding thing ever. To have them ask for "boobys" and to share those special cuddles is just priceless

Thanks
    Reviews

Typing this as dd (2 and a bit) is blissfully drinking away in her sleep...
    I do have some negative comments and weird looks and sometimes it does get to me to be honest. I think you just have to be confident in the decision you make for your bub! My family are very supportive and my sister has extended bf her 3 so it's the 'norm' in our family. My mum also bf me till I was 3.5!
    I have recently 'weaned' dd off her demand feeding because it was getting exhausting. She now has a bf only at bed times and she is coping quite well with that. I was considering weaning completely over Xmas but I'm not sure if I will!

Thanks
    Reviews

What lovely stories, thankyou so much! DH is very supportive but I know feeding past 1yo originally concerned him but pretty sure he would support me to continue.

It is not the norm in my family which is why I asked : bottle and formula are the norm. Tbh I get sick to death of my Mum asking me when I will wean! She just cannot identify with it even though she is proud of me.

I wondered how many feeds etc bub would need then and if I could do it before going out. I noticed a friend with a 15month old at a function the other day and she took her out to the car and bf. Tbh I was shocked by this as I would have thought it more socially acceptable than that!

Was interesting to hear that you give cows milk during the day. Is cows milk something that is needed for nutrition purposes or is breastmilk sufficient?

I'm such a soft Mum I would honestly hate to have to refuse feeds so who knows how long it could continue?! I think thats what worries my DH..a few disturbed comments about the lady on the magazine probably made me wonder.

Anyways I am more than comfortable doing it for bub and am thoroughly enjoying it too. Well done to all of you, what a great job you have done/are doing!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years, so to me, after that is extended feeding.
    Im personally tandem feeding a 2.5yo and a 4 month old, with no signs of anyone weaning anytime soon

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I fed DS1 til a week shy of his 3rd birthday and DS2 until he was 3yrs and 5 mths, DD is 16 months and is a total boob head I tandem fed my boys for around 18mths and touched on tandem feeding with DS2 and DD. For us it's just normal