+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default 4 year old constantly asking for food

My four year old is driving me insane with her constantly asking for food, she is always hungry no matter how much she eats and I just don't know what to do.
    I give her plenty of water as I know thirst can be mistaken for hunger - no difference. I give her foods that are supposed to make you fuller for longer - no difference. I try to distract her as I feel a lot of it is boredom - this does make a difference but only for a while and is incredibly difficult to maintain.
    We literally can not afford all the food she eats, it is madness and I've reached a point where I feel really angry listening to 'I'm hungry' 50 times a day. She will finish a meal and literally 2 mins later is complaining she is hungry.
    What the heck can I do? Surely she can't really be hungry when she eats all day long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

She needs to see a doctor. She might have a serious hormone imbalance where her stomach isn't telling her mind she is full. Until you rule out a medical cause, there's no point trying to restrict her eating

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is not a medical issue.
    i am looking for ways to mentally handle a child who grazes all day long. I feel like food prep is all I do and it's making me cranky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 was like this....cant remember from what age exactly but it was from about 4ish to about 6ish yo.

He would just eat and eat and eat and eat. he would finish breakfast and want food, same for lunch and dinner. For dinner I would give him the HUGEST bowls of pasta to fill him up but nope....half an hour after he was wanting more food.

The only thing I could think of was that he had massive growth spurts every 6 months. Like one day he was in size 4s and then in 6 months I would to buy all size 5s....then in another 6 months all size 6s. It was just crazy.

He has calmed down now as even tho he was getting taller he was starting to put on weight as well when he growth started slowing down.

I did find that when he went to kinder and then in prep his eating calmed down, especially as he was seeing other kids not eating heaps but also as there was no time to eat (as he was playing).

I really dont have any suggestions (sorry!) but I just made sure I kept snacks for him at his level so he could grab stuff when he was hungry so I wasnt forever making him stuff.

So she will grow out of it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (13-12-2012)

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    gosh MM i couldve written your post!!! my DS2 is turning 4 in feb, and he is like this constantly!! "im hungeeee"!!! Im sorry i dont have any suggestions for you, but i just wanted to let you know its completely normal! And it drives me batty too LOL

i have found making one big platter of food in the morning and limiting him to just that works, as he is obviously a grazer. fruits and vegie sticks, plain crackers, low gi foods, cheese cubes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BoyCrazy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh. My. God! I have never told anyone this because for some reason it embarrasses me, but my 3 year old is exactly the same!! Drives me round the twist!!! She will say 'I am still hungry' when there is still food on her plate! I have started making her eat big breakfasts (eggs etc) but it doesn't really help. She eats only good food as she is intolerant to some foodstuffs so we are very good now at only feeding her nutritious filling foods. I must admit the past few weeks haven't been as bad - so I measured her, lo and behold she has grown 6cm in 4 months! I thought maybe she just was bored, liked eating, had a good metabolism, was being greedy, I thought of everything, but it must have been a growth spurt. I was so worried she was going to get porky She does still say 'I am hungry' a million times a day but I am being pretty strict and I tell her she has to wait til the next meal time (we have a big breakfast then mt then a big lunch and a'noon tea and I find that by dinner she will only eat it if it is something she loves, in which case she can have fruit afterwards or nothing til breakfast. Between her and the baby all I seem to do is feed people. So I feel your pain OP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your child is asking for food and you've wormed her, given water and tried distraction then feed her. So kids eat heaps, others don't.

Yesterday my 2 year old had a bowl of cereal, 1slice toast with a thick tomato, mushroom omelette, banana, apple, large bowl of spag bowl, pack of chips, glass of milk, noodles, pizza and a ice block, with all the water he wanted.

My 7 year Old has cereal then in her lunch she gets 2 sandwiches with egg, carrot, cucumber, 4 rice cakes with spread, carrot sticks, fruit, 1/2 tin tuna with 10 or so jats, chips then wants a snack as soon as she gets home then has dinner and dessert.

My kids are constantly saying they are hungry if its getting beyond a joke (and it does) ill make a banana smoothe with fresh fruit, yogurt and milk. If they are still hungry they get fruit.

kids are growing they are active they need food so they can burn their energy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Miss5 is like this, she asks for more before she's even finished what she's eating.

Sometimes i just tell her no more you are being silly now you've had plenty to eat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

My almost 3 yr old tells me she is hungry when she is eating!
    Both my girls have gone through this stage- for both of them, the tend to eat a lot in the morning, and then the requests taper of as the day goes on.
    I can recommend a big breakfast- cereal/ toast/ banana, then a short time later some yoghurt.
    A snack of a muffin, more fruit, popcorn or crackers and cheese for morning tea. Then dinner leftovers or sandwiches for lunch.
    We have a rule of only fruit and veggie snacks between 4 pm and dinner, so carrot, celery, cucumber sticks with hummus or half a cup of frozen peas or some tin corn. And then dinner.
    The hungry phase passes before too long, and I really do find that keeping them busy decreases the number of food requests.
    HTH

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to be clear I do feed her, I am not denying her food.