+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

Sorry deserama I care more about ensuring my business doesn't go under and my family go hungry than worrying about a theoretical discrimination case

After everything I've said about how I employ people I think what you are saying shows a complete lack of imagination

You have kids? Great!

You have no plan to work out how you will fit work in around your kids? Goodbye.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Deserama I think you are in fantasy land.

I always ask if people have children because I prefer they do, or otherwise have a relevant background. I'm not going to give a job to someone with no clue about pregnancy etc as it make customers uncomfortable.

This is legal, as its relevant to the job.

I then ask when Can work, so we can negotiate hours to suit or work out if they aren't available at all the hours needed.

This is when people say I have daycare these days (great) or else say oh not sure I'd have to find out when I can get a babysitter or the inlaws or we might be getting 2 daycare days next year and I think ok not great

I really think people are in fantasy land if they think businesses can afford to employ people being so reckless as to not care about them being able to turn up. The business would go broke and nobody would have a job.
    What you've just said here and the way you ask, I see no problem with.

When can you work? Is completely different to 'do you have childcare arrangements?'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Deserama I think you are in fantasy land.
    No I think I'm living in a reality where it is pretty clear it is ILLEGAL. No fantasy here. If you can't afford to not ask the questions do you think you'd be able to afford a law suit? Maybe you're the one living in a fantasy land if you think you can get away with it. Good luck though! More and more women are learning their rights so you'r going to need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    What you've just said here and the way you ask, I see no problem with.

When can you work? Is completely different to 'do you have childcare arrangements?'
    Yes! It is different and goes along with what I've been saying about asking in a way where you can find out someone's reliability and attitude etc without actually asking about their childcare status.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Yes the thing is if I like someone and they seem like they will be great and we can work together, then i genuinely want to work this out with them so they can work and still be able to manage everything they need to do with their family.

I just want to know that I will be given the same respect.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

It might sound different but it tends to be the same in effect as that's when women talk about their child care arrangements.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Please note I am massively stresses about all this at the moment as I'm trying to find a worker and am having a baby in a week.

So lets hope the koala carer I'm interviewing this afternoon is suitable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry deserama I care more about ensuring my business doesn't go under and my family go hungry than worrying about a theoretical discrimination case

After everything I've said about how I employ people I think what you are saying shows a complete lack of imagination

You have kids? Great!

You have no plan to work out how you will fit work in around your kids? Goodbye.
    You said that you asked about their childcare status. You're not allowed to do that. If you don't...ok then you're not doing anything wrong. How do I not have an imagination when I was the one who actually said that there was a way you can find out about someone's reliability WITHOUT asking the illegal questions. You've since established that they offer this information themselves. Originally you didn't say that, you alluded to have asked these questions which is illegal. If you're not worried about the legal ramifications with asking questions like that....ok fine....good luck to you. But I hope for your sake, and your family's sake, that if you ARE asking the illegal questions that it doesn't bite you in the butt. Personally I wouldn't want to risk my proffesional career/business like that...BUT....IF....you have weighed up the riskfactors of a discrimation lawsuit against wasting money on hiring the wrong people and you think it's worth the risk. Fine! But I'm not going to mince words and say that it's not illegal when it is. It is - that's the reality! (not fantasy )

But you've since established that you don't actually ask the questions - ok then.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

It might sound different but it tends to be the same in effect as that's when women talk about their child care arrangements.
    I think the difference is that the way you ask opens up the opportunity for the woman to 'offer' the information, rather than you putting her on the backfoot and outright asking if she has childcare arrangements in place.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

I don't think it's really any different because at the end of the day I would be too nervous to give a job to someone who didn't seem like they had a plan in place for working

I mean the effect is the same