+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    αληθη, what you are writing on a public forum is appealing.

You are stating that you are actually actively discriminating people and asking illegal questions during interviews.
    I just can not believe what I am reading here.

I wish I knew the name of your company.

FYI I have a small business myself (3 employees) and never felt the need to discriminate to run the business. Each to their own.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (13-12-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    So you've just proved my point about it being difficult for mums to get back in to the workforce, by your rationale if I don't have childcare then I shouldn't be considered for a job. But if I don't have a job, I can't pay for childcare.

What a joke!
    EXACTLY! Listen, I agree it absolutely sucks and I have only just gotten back into the workforce after 8years.....so I agree it sucks but I do see why an employer would rather employ someone other than a mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Anyway legal or not, I can tell you that when a prospective employee is sifting through hundreds of job applications , they are going to reassured by someone with a definite child care plan and concerned by someone who has no plan.
    I think you sound like a great employer, flexible and aware of employee needs.

I think it's important to remember that laws like this are in place for the greater good, so that on a broader level parents with children are not stereotyped and assumptions made and this then impacting job prospects based on circumstance rather than ability to do the job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

Whose fault is that?

Nobody owes you a job. I started my own business because I had a 5 month old baby and needed to work.

It's not an employers fault that they want to know people will be able to so the job they spend time and money training people to do.

Perhaps there should be more support for women looking to work ie child care, supportive partner ideally, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh ugh!!!!!

It's illegal people!!!! Whether you think it's fair or not....IT IS ILLEGAL!!! What you're doing is illegal and means you are doing the wrong thing and discriminating.

There are other ways to ask if someone is going to be reliable or not and gauge their attitude WITHOUT asking about their childcare status. There are! And you're not doing it...instead you are breaking the law. Terrible business practices!

Tik tok ...only a matter of time before someone has you for discrimination, hope you have good insurance!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (13-12-2012),shelle65  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think you sound like a great employer, flexible and aware of employee needs.

I think it's important to remember that laws like this are in place for the greater good, so that on a broader level parents with children are not stereotyped and assumptions made and this then impacting job prospects based on circumstance rather than ability to do the job.
    Thank you for the first bit.

And j totally agree.

Looking back, I found it much harder finding works when I became a single mum and I now realise it was probably because of child care concerns (legal jobs). Ie I got asked how I would manage working back late and so on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Whose fault is that?

Nobody owes you a job. I started my own business because I had a 5 month old baby and needed to work.

It's not an employers fault that they want to know people will be able to so the job they spend time and money training people to do.

Perhaps there should be more support for women looking to work ie child care, supportive partner ideally, etc.
    But it is their fault if they ask discriminating questions! You're not allowed to do it - the end!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    But I'm not saying that. I'm saying asking certain questions about someones situation can show a lot about the person. The whole interview could be considered discrimination then if you want to say it like that, because it's culling out everyone who isn't suitable. An employer has to think of their business, not about everyone's feelings because some people may be brilliantly qualified but still not right for the job because of their attitude or even some circumstances that they can control but don't. It's not saying everyone is like that and it's not saying that it stops every person in a certain situation to get the job, it's finding the correct person who deals with their situations in a professional and responsible way that will benefit the company.
    You are asking questions based on your own assumptions about their abilities, attitude, suitability , responsibility etc based solely on the fact that they are parents.

It doesn't 'tell a lot about a person' in any reliable, objective way. Your reaction to whatever you learn about that persons individual circumstances is completely subjective and says more about you than it does about them.

It's really not a matter of being mindful of 'feelings', rather being mindful of the law which restricts your right to ask such questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To those who make no secret that they ask illegal questions about a mother's childcare status, do you ask the same of fathers too? Or are they exempt somehow?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Deserama I think you are in fantasy land.

I always ask if people have children because I prefer they do, or otherwise have a relevant background. I'm not going to give a job to someone with no clue about pregnancy etc as it make customers uncomfortable.

This is legal, as its relevant to the job.

I then ask when Can work, so we can negotiate hours to suit or work out if they aren't available at all the hours needed.

This is when people say I have daycare these days (great) or else say oh not sure I'd have to find out when I can get a babysitter or the inlaws or we might be getting 2 daycare days next year and I think ok not great

I really think people are in fantasy land if they think businesses can afford to employ people being so reckless as to not care about them being able to turn up. The business would go broke and nobody would have a job.