+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Then why ask the question at all???? You've just stated that if they're right for the job you'll offer suggestions for finding child care so by that rationale, whether they have care arrangements or not has no bearing whatsoever on your decision to hire them so WHY ASK THE QUESTION???
    Because it reveals a lot about the person, their responsibility for the role and their attitude. It's only one small question in a whole interview, it is not the focus and is not the only thing we decide on. It may be the final nail in the coffin for them to not be employed or it may show that they are prepared.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    In my business, and several others I know of (though sure this may not be the case for all) it's that they know what options they have and that they have planned. I mean, 'oh yeah my in laws/parents said they could' isn't as solid as 'I have looked into several centers and if I get this job, it will be a top priority of mine to get my child into one.'

When I interview, I look for responsibility and childcare plans are part of that. It's not the whole issue like this whole thread makes it seem like, it is a very tiny part of the interview. One question and answer and it can tell so much about the person.
    Well you can keep telling yourself that if you like but it doesn't change the fact that asking the question is ILLEGAL and DISCRIMINATORY.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

That's right, that's why employing something is such a nightmare which takes a huge amount of time that I can't spare

I don't really know what your point is. Are you saying I should give a job to someone who from the outset has no plan to be able to do the job, over someone who does?

You have no idea of some of the flakey things people say.

One woman just responses with hi I would like to apply for the job but you would need to change the hours as my husband is a shift worker and has irregular hours.

I just employed two people instead of one so they could job share as they both only had part time care.

I went out of my way to be flexible.

I think this argument is ridiculous. Small business employ 50% of workers in Australia and yet people seem to have no idea of the economic realities.

I actively preference women with sma children (discrimination) yet I'm being told I'm doing the wrong thing by wanting to be sure they have consistent child care?

This is ludicrous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    It's not illegal to make sure I can have reliable, responsible employees. I'm not discriminating them by asking whether they have reliable child care, or a reliable plan for childcare, exactly the same as if they had reliable transport. If I decided they weren't right for my job it wouldn't be solely on no childcare it would be because they haven't displayed in the interview that they were responsible and there could be many reasons. If I really wanted an employee and they had no plans yet I would offer my knowledge in ways to organise something and give them a trial if I could, and if they messed that up then the childcare is not the fault, it's them.
    No, it's illegal to assume that they are unreliable and irresponsible based on their age, sex, orientation, religion, parenting status etc. Discrimination is bad enough when it's blatant, but trying to justify it, pretty it up and call it something else is just gross.

And as pp just showed, as far as the law goes, those questions are illegal, so it might be wise for all to be aware of that lest they find themselves on the wrong end of the naughty stick!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As an employer Id want to know that the person I am hiring has considered what they will do if/when they get the job. I would be furious if I hired someone and then they turned around and told me they were having trouble getting a spot at child care or something like that.

As an employee you are asking the company to do YOU a favor by hiring you...you need to fit into their criteria, not the other way around. You will be representing their company and your work ethic and choices will impact their company in the end, so they should have the right to be picky.

Thats how I see it anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Desmera, it is illegal to ask about childcare arrangement... As simple as that.
    We are having a go at people knowingly breaking the law.

I do hope that OP will lodge a complaint against the interviewer/company.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    More information at http://www.worksite.actu.org.au/your...ur-rights.aspx

I think that sets the issue. What the interviewer has done is illegal. So is what some PP are doing. There are not 2 ways around it. ILLEGAL.
    You can fight for the law to be changed but what you are doing right now is as illegal as driving at 160kph on the highway.
    Yes, this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

Anyway legal or not, I can tell you that when a prospective employee is sifting through hundreds of job applications , they are going to reassured by someone with a definite child care plan and concerned by someone who has no plan.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    No, it's illegal to assume that they are unreliable and irresponsible based on their age, sex, orientation, religion, parenting status etc.
    But I'm not saying that. I'm saying asking certain questions about someones situation can show a lot about the person. The whole interview could be considered discrimination then if you want to say it like that, because it's culling out everyone who isn't suitable. An employer has to think of their business, not about everyone's feelings because some people may be brilliantly qualified but still not right for the job because of their attitude or even some circumstances that they can control but don't. It's not saying everyone is like that and it's not saying that it stops every person in a certain situation to get the job, it's finding the correct person who deals with their situations in a professional and responsible way that will benefit the company.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    As an employer Id want to know that the person I am hiring has considered what they will do if/when they get the job. I would be furious if I hired someone and then they turned around and told me they were having trouble getting a spot at child care or something like that.

As an employee you are asking the company to do YOU a favor by hiring you...you need to fit into their criteria, not the other way around. You will be representing their company and your work ethic and choices will impact their company in the end, so they should have the right to be picky.

Thats how I see it anyway.
    So you've just proved my point about it being difficult for mums to get back in to the workforce, by your rationale if I don't have childcare then I shouldn't be considered for a job. But if I don't have a job, I can't pay for childcare.

What a joke!