+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

I honestly have no idea what you are on about.

Nobody has said they won't employ mums. Nearly everyone I interview has small children , I have them myself so prefer it.

But i would say at least 50% or more have no child care arrangements in place.

That's the reality. Maybe take that on board?

I ask people when they are available as I like to be flexible and do job share and whatever but people can't even give definite times.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (13-12-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think part of the problem is that in order to pay for childcare (if you don't have anyone else), you need a job. In order to get a job, you need childcare.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (13-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (13-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Asking in an interview isn't assuming all parents are going to be like that, it's just making sure you don't get hit by it again. It's a simple question and it's honest of the company to ask and it's out in the open. Honestly it is a nothing question to me, it's just the business being thorough.
    It's illegal. Again - it's illegal. You are not allowed to ask. End of story. Just because you have done it in the past doesn't make it "business". Keep asking it and you could well find yourself the subject of an equal opportunity complaint.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (13-12-2012),ToonZie  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

As a small business no I can't take someone on and spend weeks training them unless I feel sure they will stay.

I can't afford it.

Unreliable employees cost my family money.

How would it go if I told an employee sorry I can't pay you this week because I didn't do any work because I didn't organise child care?

Because actually when someone repeatedly doesn't turn up because they have no child care, I have to so their job and then our income drops.

If I have to fire someone it's the same situation - no workers and my business is at risk.

I am in this position right now.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

In my experience its not easy to go through the interview stage, find someone who could do the job only to find they're unreliable, fire them and then have to go through the whole process again. It's not practical so it does lead to certain questions in the interviews.
    We've hired many mothers, many people who do party on the weekend but they still come to work on time and not hungover, we have a lot of smokers who have agreed to our rules and we have many other types of people and even a single father. Asking these questions does not mean we won't hire them it's just making sure they are right for what our business needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    They don't actually. A huge, huge amount of people don't have child care organised.
    I don't know what industry you are in, but I have never come across this, ever.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I think part of the problem is that in order to pay for childcare (if you don't have anyone else), you need a job. In order to get a job, you need childcare.
    Then get quotes, make plans and tell the interviewer and it's a no brainer that yes you're organized and have plans and are responsible.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

There are literally hundreds of people replying to every job ad.

Of course i would hire someone with a plan to get to work over someone who doesn't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    And why would one have childcare BEFORE they need it. If you're unemployed why would you be paying somebody for looking after your child when you don't need them to YET!

Of course some PARENTS woudn't have childcare sorted out - YET!!!!!

But wouldn't the start date of employment, which as far as I know is generally 2 weeks, be enough time for someone to organise something?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I don't know what industry you are in, but I have never come across this, ever.
    I am in an industry in which I only want to employ people with small children lol (pregnancy and breastfeeding).

If you must know I also don't really consider men and I like to preference single mothers if I can and will do my absolute best to work around people's child care arrangements because I know how hard it is. I just want *something* in place!