+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

It is discrimination and it is illegal to ask that question in an interview. I was asked that question and I replied "my husband has a wonderful employer so he takes the time off when needed" which is true depending in who has what on we juggle the kids between him, myself, my best friend and my mum (I only work booked crèche days but if they are sick) I think often parents are more reliable as they have bills and financial commitments- I'm not at work and paying crèche for drinking money - I'm there to pay my bills- whereas I know a number of my younger colleagues are there for holiday money and clothes etc as they still live at home and many of my older colleagues it's more a hobby/spending money for holidays.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    So do you ask potential employees if they like to party? Do you ask them if they are of a certain cultural heritage that leave early on Fridays and will have extra religious holidays during the year? Do you ask them if they smoke and will regularly take 10 minute cigarette breaks?
    If my company had horrible dealings with employees who were a certain way ie partying then yes I would and I would explain that due to past employees I need to take into account my business' needs and requirements. I know a lot of people who party and still go to work and I know a lot of people who skip it regularly. We've had to fire many party goers and do bring certain things up in interviews.
    If I knew a potential employee had young children I would like to know whether they had reliable care just as an employer would like to know if the person has reliable transport to and from work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    If my company had horrible dealings with employees who were a certain way ie partying then yes I would and I would explain that due to past employees I need to take into account my business' needs and requirements. I know a lot of people who party and still go to work and I know a lot of people who skip it regularly. We've had to fire many party goers and do bring certain things up in interviews.
    If I knew a potential employee had young children I would like to know whether they had reliable care just as an employer would like to know if the person has reliable transport to and from work.
    So what about my other question - do you enquire about cultural and religious heritage with a view to seeing whether they will be taking extra religious holidays?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Not everyone may be aware of this, but it's not about doubting that you have child care . A lot of people actually have no child care arrangements and then actually don't turn up to start work, etc.

If someone is asking about this, it's because they've been burnt.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Shelle I certainly wouldn't care about religious hols etc.

My issue is I ask people when they can work and they say oh my kids start kindy next year but my inlaws can probably look after them until then... And I'm left thinking hmm ok not sure i want to rely on that.

I'm interviewing someone this afternoon who is a koala carer and will be bringing a baby koala to work. And I've previously employed a mum who brought her 1 year old (which tbh was a nightmare for them both).

So I kind of resent the attitude that you're being discriminatory and unfair if you want to feel confident that people will actually be able to turn up to work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

So what about my other question - do you enquire about cultural and religious heritage with a view to seeing whether they will be taking extra religious holidays?
    No, but I don't see that as a problem because then no one would take Christmas and Easter and some take Sundays and if they're upfront about that then it's no problem. It's potential problems that could be recurrent like weekend partying that can affect Mondays or even week partying. Unreliable transport to and from work. No secure plans for your children to be cared for while you work. And for smokers we have a company policy for set breaks and times and if they're not okay with that then they won't get hired, it's not discrimination it's business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Not everyone may be aware of this, but it's not about doubting that you have child care . A lot of people actually have no child care arrangements and then actually don't turn up to start work, etc.

If someone is asking about this, it's because they've been burnt.
    But don't you see - an unreliable employee is an unreliable employee. I'd say 99.99% of parents have care organised for when they work. Why on earth would they bother getting a job otherwise. Being burnt by a parent who was too stupid to arrange childcare is the same as being burnt by a gay person who went to the mardi gras and didn't turn up on the Monday. You don't tarnish all gay people with the same brush, just as you don't tarnish all parents with the same brush.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

But don't you see - an unreliable employee is an unreliable employee. I'd say 99.99% of parents have care organised for when they work. Why on earth would they bother getting a job otherwise. Being burnt by a parent who was too stupid to arrange childcare is the same as being burnt by a gay person who went to the mardi gras and didn't turn up on the Monday. You don't tarnish all gay people with the same brush, just as you don't tarnish all parents with the same brush.
    Asking in an interview isn't assuming all parents are going to be like that, it's just making sure you don't get hit by it again. It's a simple question and it's honest of the company to ask and it's out in the open. Honestly it is a nothing question to me, it's just the business being thorough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

They don't actually. A huge, huge amount of people don't have child care organised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wouldn't they then be fired? Or given warnings? Discriminating against someone based on their childcare arrangements from the get go is a bit much, considering yoiu do have the power to fire people for being unreliable, not turning up for work, not doing the work etc

I think the acceptable questions should be "Will you be reliable?" "Will you be able to handle the workload?" Preferable than "Do you have children?" "Do you have child-care arrangements?"

Jobs should be given to those who are the best person for the job. If someone doesn't turn up on their first day, like the above poster said, then they simply weren't the best person for the job...whatever their reasons were (accept of course unforseen circumstance eg car accident etc).

Don't most work places have a 3 month probation period? Wouldn't workplaces have back up 'people' they can call if say, it is clear within the first week that this person isn't going to work out....there are plenty more candidates who are chomping at the bitt for the position surely.

And why don't they ask men these types of question. A PP has mentioned her husband was asked for a promotion - HE IS THE ONLY ONE I've ever heard of that has been asked about childcare arrangements etc.