+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *sigh* and this is how discrimination against women/carers/parents in the workplace continues on.

It IS illegal. No, the equal opportunity commission may not do anything except note the complaint. I would still report it if it were me because if those of us who are in a position to fight don't do so, what hope do those less fortunate and privileged have.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

darla87  (13-12-2012),Kiplusthree  (13-12-2012),lones  (13-12-2012),MissMuppet  (13-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (13-12-2012),smallpotatoes  (13-12-2012),ToonZie  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

This is probably not applicable - I own a small business and unfortunately I am now really careful because I find so often people say they have child care sorted and they don't. For example I tell people they can work from home and then they tell me they couldn't get any work done that day as their kids were crazy.

I am really wary of it now.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    This is probably not applicable - I own a small business and unfortunately I am now really careful because I find so often people say they have child care sorted and they don't. For example I tell people they can work from home and then they tell me they couldn't get any work done that day as their kids were crazy.

I am really wary of it now.
    Exactly why I think it's perfectly acceptable. It's not just with small business that this happens and big business' still can't afford to have unreliable employees because of their kids. It's not discrimination, it's just business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Exactly why I think it's perfectly acceptable. It's not just with small business that this happens and big business' still can't afford to have unreliable employees because of their kids. It's not discrimination, it's just business.
    But being a parent with a child in care doesn't equal 'unreliable employee'. There are lots of things which make people unreliable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've known unreliable employees from ALL walks of life. Those who like to party and regularly don't turn up on Monday morning because they are still recovering. Those who are into sport and call in sick because an important cricket match is on.

I'm going to keep saying it. Not employing someone because they are a parent IS discrimination and it IS illegal.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012),HugsBunny  (13-12-2012),MissMuppet  (13-12-2012),smallpotatoes  (13-12-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Oh my gosh I'm not saying it's only parents that are unreliable but if you have no plan for care for your child while you're working then you're not going to be as reliable as say someone who has a plan and back up plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dud interview

It is discrimination if it's based on an assumption that parents with children in care are unreliable and therefore think it's ok to question interviewees about this. It's not ok to ask this. As Shelle said it's illegal and with good reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

A lot of people say they are going to 'look into care' or etc, they don't even have it.

I wouldn't employ someone who seemed like they would party either.

I personally prefer to employ mums but if someone is consistently unreliable it's a giant disaster for me - I have to support my family too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Oh my gosh I'm not saying it's only parents that are unreliable but if you have no plan for care for your child while you're working then you're not going to be as reliable as say someone who has a plan and back up plan.
    So do you ask potential employees if they like to party? Do you ask them if they are of a certain cultural heritage that leave early on Fridays and will have extra religious holidays during the year? Do you ask them if they smoke and will regularly take 10 minute cigarette breaks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is none of their business! This drives me crazy. Why not ask a man if he plays video games all night and will this affect his ability to work?