+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    I think you've been discriminated against OP, purely because you have children. If I were you, I'd probably have lost my 'admiration' for this company by the end of the phone call.
    Without giving too much away it's an organisation that has been up n coming for sometime that has just made some huge leaps. My admiration for this one person has certainly gone down a fair bit. It's a shame as she is a very smart women with a big reputation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    I experienced a similar question in an interview and I had to pretty much promise that having a child wouldn't get in the way of my job. (what I do is quite specialized and not many people could take over if I was absent)
    Would they ask the same question of a man? Would they even discuss children in an interview?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry that's not dud interview, rather a dud interviewer. I'd give them the feedback.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Would they ask the same question of a man? Would they even discuss children in an interview?
    The **** thing is I don't think they would! I definitely don't agree with it and I don't think it's fair at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

My husband has a demanding job that takes him away from us at short notice for indeterminate periods of time. He was asked about my work and our child care arrangements when he went for and won a promotion 2 years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had the same thing happen to me, except I was not given a receptionist position with a recruitment company...that I was also signed on with!
    Prior to that interview, I had completed a traineeship with a governement agency and had worked for years within the same company, but because I had young children and had been out of work for a short amount of time, they decided I couldnt handle working full time as a receptionist for them.
    Needless to say, they also never bothered putting me forward for interviews and I actually found myself a really good job, with great pay, where I was well respected...back in the government.
    I would now never EVER recommend that agency to anyone.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry you didnt get it.
    Personally, I think employers have a right to know exactly who they are about to hire and should be allowed to ask those kinds of questions. In saying that, I dont see a problem in you giving them feedback if you feel you need to. I personally wouldnt bother, Id just move on, but if it is bugging you then go for it. You didnt get the job so what harm can it do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is against the law to request information about someone’s personal background or attributes – such as their age, marital status or parental status – and then refuse them a job based on this information.

If it were me I would make a complaint to the Equal Opportunity Commission in your state. It won't get you the job, but it may help prevent someone in the future being faced with an illegal question such as the one you were asked.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-12-2012),lovemybabies!  (13-12-2012),MissMuppet  (13-12-2012),ToonZie  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

I don't think it's against the law to request it, you just have to have the right to decline to give it without penalty. They've given a very generic reason for not getting the position ('not right at this time') so I don't think Equal Opportunity would be able to do much.

Cut your losses, learn and grow from it and move on If you think they don't have a good family attitude towards people with kids then it probably wouldn't have worked out in the long term.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

I've been asked similar (not exactly the same as I didn't have kids but I had other responsibilities). It can affect your availability and reliability in their eyes. I think it's perfectly acceptable for them to make sure that the person they hire has things planned out and back up plans.

Oh and as for the email, no I wouldn't say anything. You may be kicking yourself but there's just no point and even if you word it as carefully as possible, it may come across in a negative light on you.