+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Would they ask the same question of a man? Would they even discuss children in an interview?
    Exactly!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dud interview

Delirium actually a lot of people don't have transport either

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    *sigh* and this is how discrimination against women/carers/parents in the workplace continues on.

It IS illegal. No, the equal opportunity commission may not do anything except note the complaint. I would still report it if it were me because if those of us who are in a position to fight don't do so, what hope do those less fortunate and privileged have.
    Yup. Regardless of what anyone's opinion may be, the facts are more important. And the fact is that this line of questioning is discriminatory according to the law and should thus be reported.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Exactly why I think it's perfectly acceptable. It's not just with small business that this happens and big business' still can't afford to have unreliable employees because of their kids. It's not discrimination, it's just business.
    Tell that to Fair Work Australia. Don't think they'll agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Delirium actually a lot of people don't have transport either
    But surely that's the employee's responsibility to organise and be at work on time? if they are late constantly then the employer has a fair right to sack them. Just as if the parent rings over and over calling in sick bc they have no care? I'm sympathetic to an employer where this happens. It would be a pain in the rear end tbh, to be stuffed around, have to rehire, retrain. But care should not factor into someone's job eligibility and questions like this disadvantage and target women, given we are seen as the primary carer even when we work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

This is ridiculous sorry. It takes weeks and weeks to find someone. Hours and hours and hours.

If you think I'm going to risk all that and then find out the person has no reliable transport you are joking.

Finding someone to hire costs thousand and thousands.

I am seriously getting annoyed at this attitude.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

It is honestly reading threads like this that make me feel people are just out for what they can get and do not give a stuff about doing the right thing by businesses that give them a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    This is ridiculous sorry. It takes weeks and weeks to find someone. Hours and hours and hours.

If you think I'm going to risk all that and then find out the person has no reliable transport you are joking.

Finding someone to hire costs thousand and thousands.

I am seriously getting annoyed at this attitude.
    Once again, it is not an attitude, it is the law. It is there for a very good reason, and while it may be inconvenient for you, it is beneficial for the community as a whole.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dud interview

Clearly you've not read anything I've said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    CTM - I'm also a business owner, and I understand your frustrations in making sure you hire the right people. I think that anyone who has undertaken a lot of interviews/ recruitment will know how time consuming and costly the hiring process can be.

When I first read your comments it came across to me that you were saying that you asked questions (of interviewees) that are not legal. (Regardless of whether or not anyone thinks it's fair/ okay to ask them, the bottom line is that they are not legal). However, from reading on, it sounds as if that may not be quite the case.

Discrimination cases can be costly for a business. I previously worked for a company that was taken to court by an interviewee because she felt they focused too much on her childcare arrangements, and then did not offer her the job. So her assumption was that the fact she had young children affected her application - and I believe this was upheld in court, although I'm not sure of the final outcome.

It's possible to ask questions about whether an employee can work the required hours, get to work, etc. without asking about childcare/ family arrangements.

I also agree with Delirium, in that I view an interview as a two way process. It's a chance for me (as the employer) to see if the person I'm meeting has the skills, experience, etc. that I need, and also a chance for them (as the potential employee) to see if we are the right company for them, with the right career path, culture fit, etc.

I think the days of the employee being lucky to have an interview with a company are long gone. I view people as our most valuable and important asset.

But I do still understand the frustration of people being out for what they can get too - as I think we all face that at times.