Induction due to gestational diabetes | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction due to gestational diabetes

Lovelymum - you and I had almost identical births!
    I was on insulin from28 weeks
    Foetal monitoring twice a week from 32 weeks
    Weekly scans
    Very low amniotic fluid and placenta breakdown
    Ds born at 36 weeks - 2.4kg's - 4 days in nicu
    Day 6 - home!

I was just diagnosed again at 28 weeks. 4x insulin a day and I know he will induce again, just pray its around 38 weeks.. Give us a bit more time to bake!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with both of my pregnancies. I had GD in both. The first I was on insulin from 32 weeks and I was induced at 38+3 weeks. I had multiple scans between 28 & 38 weeks but I think 1 or 2 of them were 'formal' scans, there were another 2 or so in the Ob's rooms to check on bubs in between. Bubs was big and they were just being extra cautious. My ds had breathing problems at birth so ended up straight into special care, but apparently they were the type that were unrelated to GD and just 'one of those things'. He had jaundice and bowel issues, but was still home on Day 8. Glad he was induced though.

With my 2nd pregnancy (nearly 5 years after the 1st) I wasn't diagnosed with GD til 35 weeks and I had the tail end of a cold at the time, so the Endocrinologist said I basically didn't have it. I didn't end up on insulin, but bubs was big (probably genetic rather than related to GD). I had a formal scan at 28 weeks and then again at 36 weeks and bubs was on the 97th percentile for weight. My Ob wanted to induce me based on her weight, but I was keen to wait as long as possible. I ended up being induced at 39+3 and she was 4.4kg (97th percentile) and her shoulder got a bit stuck, so in retrospect she probably should have come earlier. If there is a next time (which will be 100% unplanned) then I won't be able to go past 38 weeks or I might end up with a c-section. Oh well.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's strange that the same condition can be treated quite differently depending on the dr! I'm currently 33 weeks, been on insulin since 29 weeks but my sugar levels are unstable and are being increased every week. I have a growth scan tomorrow so I'm very curious to see how big he is! I really don't want to go past 38 weeks, I'm scared my placenta won't work as effectively towards the end or bub will get too big, but at my last appt the dr said they may not induce until 40 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews

Well I had my scan and at exactly 33 weeks bub is measuring 2.8 kgs and all measurements are in the 95th percentile, so I guess he's going to be a big boy! I just hope they won't let me go till 40 weeks or I really doubt I will be able to have a natural birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a scan last week (30 weeks) and she is measuring only 1.2 kg's.
    Ob said she was sitting on the smaller side and will check if she has grown much by 2 weeks.
    Slightly freaking out!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Induction due to gestational diabetes

i had gd with #2 diagnosed at 26 weeks insulin at 28. i had 2 extra ultrasounds and twice weekly ctg scans done until i was induced at 37 weeks because of the high doses of insulin it was taking to keep my levels down. spent a week in ds had low sugars for 3 days

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ermergerd View Post
    i had gd with #2 diagnosed at 26 weeks insulin at 28. i had 2 extra ultrasounds and twice weekly ctg scans done until i was induced at 37 weeks because of the high doses of insulin it was taking to keep my levels down. spent a week in ds had low sugars for 3 days
    How much insulin were you on at the end? I'm currently taking insulin 4 times a day and my doses are increased every few days. Bub is measuring quite big but even with all that the dr keeps saying they probably won't induce me until 39 weeks which just seems crazy to me. Did your son have any breathing problems at 37 weeks? My dr said the gd babies lungs develop slower and that's why they won't induce until 39 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Induction due to gestational diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles21 View Post
    How much insulin were you on at the end? I'm currently taking insulin 4 times a day and my doses are increased every few days. Bub is measuring quite big but even with all that the dr keeps saying they probably won't induce me until 39 weeks which just seems crazy to me. Did your son have any breathing problems at 37 weeks? My dr said the gd babies lungs develop slower and that's why they won't induce until 39 weeks
    i was on 4 injections a day. it was 5 years ago now so hard to remember but i think i was on 28 units for day time and 32 for the long acting night time. and i was still waking with a fasting level of 15 or more in the last week.

ds had no breathing problems at all. he was 3.555 kilos and had low sugars for a few days that's it

Thanks
    Reviews

Having my first GGT next week at 24 weeks and going straight to the 2 hour test :-(

Did most of u do that if you had GD before? OB said today that I am measuring 26 weeks but I'm only 22! Slightly freaking out now that's I have it already. My BMI is 35 so could be that my chubby tummy contributing....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbles21 View Post
    Yes, bubs of mums with GD have slower lung development and so induction after 38 weeks is recommended (not 37 weeks as standard). My Ob's both originally planned inductions between 38 & 39 weeks (although the 2nd bub I ended up going a few days more). With my 1st pregnancy I was on Novorapid only (no insulin at bedtime) and I was taking 6 with breakfast and 4 with lunch & dinner (small doses apparently).

pippi ... I only ever had the 2 hour test, the 1 hour test is being phased out I understand that many hospitals don't use it any more at all. In my 2nd pregnancy after having GD the first time, I think I had the 2 hour test 3 or 4 times until finally diagnosed at 35 weeks!