Induction due to gestational diabetes | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction due to gestational diabetes

I just wanted to hear from anyone who has/had gestational diabetes and was on insulin. Did you have extra scans to check the babies size? And were you induced early?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi, I had GD with #3 and was on insulin from 29 weeks.

I had one extra scan at 32 weeks and was induced at 39 weeks. Only to get me off the insulin - well that was the reason I was given.

DD was born small (well for me) at 3.13kg. They checked her blood sugars every 2hrs and she had to get 3 good readings in a row or she would've been taken to the nursery for a drip. She had weight issues but its unrelated and is a petite but healthy almost 7 month old

If you have any questions please ask

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had GD diagnosed at 28 weeks. I was on diet control and didn't need insulin. I did have more scans to check baby's weight. My baby was induced at 38+6 and he was just 3.07kg. He did have low sugars and needed to be in special care nursery. My induction was never cos of GD, more cos fear of stillbirth. My first one came naturally at 40 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with #3, #4 and #5. With #3 I was on high and frequent doses of insulin, and while I didnt have any more scans than a non GD patient, the dr kept a very close eye on my belly size, baby heart beats and whatnot at each regular appointment. He did want to induce, but couldn't get a safe position for an amniocentesis (which in the states is required for earlier than 38 weeks medical induced labour) and the morning of the second attempt I went into natural labour on my own.

With #4 I miscarried before I started insulin.

#5, Im at 32 weeks, insulin dependant and havent had any extra scans. They are going to induce labour early, mainly because I have had other health risks with this pregnancy to go along with the insulin dependent GD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes and yes!
    Insulin straight away from 28 week and I was induced at 38 weeks. Baby was 7pounds 5ounces. I chose to be induced at 38 for fear that something would go wrong (I have anxiety)
    Baby had very low sugar and was in SCN for 2 days.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had GD with DD and was on insulin from 30 weeks. No matter what we dd doses got higher and higher, nothing really worked. Had a scan at 37 weeks to check size and they thought she was around 8 pounds at that point so I was induced at 38 weeks.
    She was 7p2oz when she was born and sugar levels were back to normal within 2 days.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was diagnosed with GD at 27 weeks and put on insulin at 30 weeks. My doses had to keep increasing and I had lots of extra scans, every week or two, to check on the baby's size. I was induced at 39 weeks as the placenta was failing and my blood sugars were rapidly dropping. She was born 3.2kg and had 3 perfect blood sugar readings after her arrival. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was diagnosed with GD at 27 weeks and put on insulin at 30 weeks. My doses had to keep increasing and I had lots of extra scans, every week or two, to check on the baby's size. I was induced at 39 weeks as the placenta was failing and my blood sugars were rapidly dropping. She was born 3.2kg and had 3 perfect blood sugar readings after her arrival. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had diet controlled GD with my first pregnancy and was told i would be induced at 38 weeks as it was "standard procedure" as the pregnancy and delivery were now classed as high risk i had a growth scan at 33 weeks which showed DS was on the small side from there I was on weekly OB appointments and had a further 3 scans to monitor his growth. By 36/5 weeks I was having to go to the hospital twice a day for foetal trace monitoring and after my scan at 37 weeks exactly I was induced the next day as DS was very small there was evidence of placental failure and my amniotic levels were low. DS was born at 37 weeks and weighed 2.4kgs (just over 5 pound) so he was very small for full term. He had low blood sugar, low body temperature and jaundice but by day 6 we were both homeward bound. I am so happy my OB induced me as my DS would not have survived much longer in my womb.