+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning 19 month old

Just after some advice on weaning my DS. I have been trying gently wean from the last 3 month with a gentle don't offer don't refuse method. This hasn't been all that effective. I'm starting to get a little desperate as I'm pregnant with #2. I'm only 7 weeks but feeding so becoming really irritating and a little painful. I'm feeling guilty and dot really want to wean but I don't know how much more I can cope with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews

Gratuitous bump!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I too weaned dd1 at 19mths as I was pregnant and not so happy anymore.

I was only doing the naptime and before bed feed anyway so I just was not present for a few of those consecutively and it all sorted itself out. She did ask for it from time to time ESP once the new bubba was feeding but I told her that booboos were for small babies and it was dd2s turn.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks R&A for your reply. We've tried this and it does work but he is still demands it other times. He can sometimes e redirected/distracted but not always.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Try band aids on your boobs. Tell him they hurt and to wait till they are better.

This was suggested on another thread.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey I think that is a stroke of genius! Will have to give it a go. Thank you. It has also been suggested that I out bitter aloe or just aloe vera in my nipples so they taste bitter so he doesn't want it any more I'm not sure how I feel about this does anyone else have thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I can't help with weaning as my 28 month old still feeds, but I have put vinegar on my nipples to stop her wanting to feed all night! After tasting it once any time she smells it on me she won't feed. Could be worth a try. I know it's not the nicest way but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Weaning 19 month old

I'm still feeding my 20 month old and I'm 38 weeks pregnant. My nipples were really sore at the beginning but they stopped being so painful after about 12 weeks, so if you don't really want to wean and can hang on for a few more weeks you could see if they settle down for you too. They are painful again now but not as bad as in the beginning. I know how you're feeling...it felt like I was feeding a new born again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyBic View Post
    Hey I think that is a stroke of genius! Will have to give it a go. Thank you. It has also been suggested that I out bitter aloe or just aloe vera in my nipples so they taste bitter so he doesn't want it any more I'm not sure how I feel about this does anyone else have thoughts on this.
    A friend of mine rubbed lemon juice on her nipples when she was wanting to wean her daughter - she was also pregnant at the time and her daughter was over 18 months old. She told me her DD tired a few times but would pull off and tell it tasted funny.

When I was weaning DD3 we changed out routine around a bit, Dh would get her up in the morning and give her breakfast while I was in the shower so we could avoid the morning feed. During the day I stopped offering and if she attempted would try and change the subject, keeping her busy and distracted helped. The last feed to go was the evening one before bed and it was the hardest!