+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breaking a lease in WA

Does anyone know approx. how much it costs to break a lease in WA? I always thought it was a week's rent but after reading our lease it says we need to pay for the following;
    - rent in full till its relet (obviously)
    - cost if vacate inspection
    - advertising expenses
    - unexpired portion of owners letting fee
    - credit check fees per tenancy enquiry
    - Internet advertising charge
    - 'for lease' sign charge
    - all other damages for early termination on lease.

Does anyone have an idea if how this might be? I only need to break the lease 5 weeks before it expires, which is frustrating in itself, but we can't avoid moving.

Thanks
    Reviews

Why don't you just pay the remaining 5 weeks and not renew? That would be much simpler.
    They are most definitely entitled to recover the 5 weeks rent and any costs incurred if you break the lease without paying until the end - you have a contract with them and if they are entitled to rely upon receiving the weekly rent for every week that you signed up to - if you breach the lease they can legally seek compensation.
    I would attempt to negotiate a reduction of the 5 weeks to 2 or 3, but they would be doing that in good faith and are not obliged to. Failing negotiation the cheapest thing would be to move out and just honour the remaining 5 weeks.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would just move out and pay the remaining 5 weeks or take 5 weeks to move. It's only 5 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just pay the remaining 5 weeks rent.....then you know exactly what you are up for, rather then a lot of grey area amounts such as those listed.

Generally, to break lease is one weeks rent as re-let fee, rent until the property is tenanted again and advertising costs.

But if that is the list in your lease, then you agreed to those terms when you signed the lease, so seems their policy is to include extra costs.

But as I said, would be much easier and clearer to pay the 5 weeks rent.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    I would just move out and pay the remaining 5 weeks or take 5 weeks to move. It's only 5 weeks.
    This is what I was going to suggest much easier

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breaking a lease in WA

Definately just pay the last 5 weeks rent so much easy than lease breaking this is talking from experience of two lease breaks

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes I agree with the others I would pay the remaining 5 weeks it would probably turn out cheaper in the end especially if they can't rent it out by the time your lease is up.
    Or could you ask friends if they are interested in the property and if so speak to the real estate about transferring the lease to the new ppl?

Thanks
    Reviews

I kinda got the impression on the phone she wouldn't be in any hurry to do anything much as the lease was almost up anyway. And I have a feeling the owners will are looking for a mining income which none of our friends really have. Looks like we'll just be paying it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its only 5 weeks so this will probably be no help but I needed to break a lease on my flat a few years ago. I put it on domain.com.au and found someone willing to take over the lease. The real estate just drew up new lease with their name on it which I had to sign. Only thing is they didnt have anything to do with the money/bond side of things so we did that privately. It cost $100 to advertise but it was better than the $800 approx that they wanted plus rent until they found another tenant.