+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mamas and Papas car seat compatible with Australian safety standards?

I wonder if anyone out there can help me.

I emigrated here from the UK and brought my Mamas and Papas Sola pram and aton car seat with me. The aton is like a capsule. I want to use the car seat for my next child but not sure if it conforms to Australian standards as it doesn't have a 'top tether' system. You can use a belted base with it to click it onto, and think I have seen other seats for sale in Australia that use a base with no top tether belt.

So basically my question is, can I use a belted base with no top tether in Australia?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You won't be able to use the car seat in Australia as it hasn't been approved to our standards. Unless there is a sticker on it saying so?

Thanks
    Reviews

Short answer, no. It has to have a top tether and have the aus safety standard sticker on it.

I have a uk maxi cosi seat in an isofix base which I imported from Europe as the seat has no top tether and I wanted to make it a bit safer. However, this is still not legal and I have done this fully aware of these facts. Isofix will become legal at some point in 2013.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Do you mean it uses the isofix system? Where the base clips into the actual car seat?

I'm pretty sure you can use seats that haven't been approved under our safety standards - it doesn't mean they're NOT safe, just that the companies haven't approached the standards bureau in Australia for assessment and approval.

If you choose to use it though, and it hasn't been approved under our safety standards then you'll have issues with insurance companies if you're in an accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Isofix car seats are very safe. They are just not legal in Australia, although this is likely to change in 2013.

I know people over here that use them but I think there might be insurance issues if there was ever an accident or injury involving a child in a non-legal car seat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Do you mean it uses the isofix system? Where the base clips into the actual car seat?

I'm pretty sure you can use seats that haven't been approved under our safety standards - it doesn't mean they're NOT safe, just that the companies haven't approached the standards bureau in Australia for assessment and approval.

If you choose to use it though, and it hasn't been approved under our safety standards then you'll have issues with insurance companies if you're in an accident.
    If you have an accident in which your child is injured or worse, you could face charges of negligence for not using a seat which meats Australian safety standards. Isofix is very safe which is why I use it, but not legal.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    If you have an accident in which your child is injured or worse, you could face charges of negligence for not using a seat which meats Australian safety standards. Isofix is very safe which is why I use it, but not legal.
    Pretty sure that's pretty much what I just said……

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Pretty sure that's pretty much what I just said……
    Sorry wasn't having a dig, just thought by saying u could use the seats u were implying it was legal, and your ref to insurance companies I thought u meant in regards to claiming the cost of a new seat. So I was clarifying, that's all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You may also not be covered under injury insurance so if your child was severely injured and left requiring 24/7 care the insurance company/TAC may refuse to cover you. I used to work for TAC with children who had severe brain and spinal injuries and the cost of quality care- carers, nurses, physio's etc is in the millions per year. I wouldn't want to risk that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    You may also not be covered under injury insurance so if your child was severely injured and left requiring 24/7 care the insurance company/TAC may refuse to cover you. I used to work for TAC with children who had severe brain and spinal injuries and the cost of quality care- carers, nurses, physio's etc is in the millions per year. I wouldn't want to risk that.
    Good point.