+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you have to do what makes you feel most comfortable. I agree with others that it would be a good idea to teach your little one about road safety, but I see no harm in having a pram if that will make you feel better. You may find that you don't use it for very long though. I still occasionally put my DS3 in the pram and carry bubba in a carrier, but mostly when I know we have a big day out ahead of us. DS3 is a very good walker and has gone on hour+ long walks before, but can get easily distracted, so if I want to walk at a reasonable pace, I take the pram as well and can put him in it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How old do you think is too old for a pram/stroller.

Dd2 is 3.5 and still occasionally gets in the pram. We have a double so she's down the bottom with DS up top. It's a god send at theme parks or on a day at the shops as she gets scared of loud noises and too many people so she hops in. She can walk long distances, we go bush walking and she can do 4 Kms easy. If it will make life a bit easier I say go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I put my 4 year old in a double pram with my 19 month old when I'm traveling long distances or in busy situations where I'd prefer him to be strapped in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd do whatever you're comfortable with, OP. I don't see a problem with putting him in the pram if safety is a worry for you.

As someone else suggested, a backpack harness could be an answer too, if he doesn't like holding hands.

DD is 2.5 and rarely goes in her pram now. However I still take it for long shopping trips, as I know she will get tired and want to be carried at some point! Plus it makes life easier, as I don't have to carry the nappy bag, shopping bags, etc. whilst holding her hand too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How old do you think is too old for a pram/stroller.

I pushed my 4 year old around on a stroller and a jogging pram on occasion... Who cares what others "think"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DD will be 4 in Feb but she still uses the stroller on occasion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    You could use a bike with a parent handle instead. That way he could still feel like he is a big boy and you could use it to teach him about listening and road rules at the same time. I do think it is important you teach him about stopping before the road and not leaving your side whether he is in a pram or walking.

DS is 3 and I still use a stroller for him when we go to the shops, somewhere busy or are having a long day out. He walks too slow and gets distracted easily and I need him to still be agreeable to going in the pram when I have our next baby in Jan (so I don't have to worry about losing him).
    Great suggestion. I have one of these and my DD loved it. Now that I have DS also (14 months) I have a jogging pram with a toddler step on the back. DD can jump off whenever she wants and walk alongside me, and when she is tired she hops back on.

Nothing wrong with a stroller though. Who cares what others think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 will be three next year too and rarely uses the pram however, like others, I'll pop him in in busy situations or if I have to wrangle both him and his baby brother through busy markets or shops. DS1 isn't a runner and is good at holding hands but I don't care about popping him in the pram when the need arises.

I do think I was a lot more Judgey McJudgey about older kids in prams before I had my own babies - it really is such an individual choice! I despise our Phil & Teds hand-me-down but it has been a lifesaver in navigating two bubs.

I second the bike idea although test-drive (ride?) a few. We have a Little Tikes which I find a bit clunky to steer especially now that DS1 is heavier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is purely personal and what suits you the best. DD is 3 and hardly ever uses the pram/stroller but then wants to be carried so I wish she would use it cause she's heavy. DS was happy to sit in the pram/stroller and probably still would if we let him (he's 6). Do whatever makes it easier for you, I don't believe it is any reflection of a milestones, the parent or the child, just whatever is the most practical for the situation you're in.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I think its a personal thing of course, but I do cringe when seeing 4+ using them. I find it lazy (on the kid not the parent) and at that age they should be walking. My DS1 trys to ask for the pram somedays but I refuse because he needs to learn to walk like a big boy lol If I go to the zoo I will bring the pram for DS2 (he will e 3 in january) but thats because he still sleeps a bit and a pram is great for lugging sh!t around lol
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge, some children have various physical hurdles. If my dd is 4 and still needs a pram due to her awfully hard start to life and someone told me she was lazy, you would be very sorry that you did!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (31-12-2012),Gothel  (31-12-2012)