+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default In vitro study finds digested formula, but not breast milk, is toxic to cells

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Really? The article I read from WHO recommends BF in HIV positive women only if other suitable alternatives are not available or safe. This was published in 2007 though, so perhaps I'm reading the wrong info.
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html updated in 2009

Thanks
    Reviews

Default In vitro study finds digested formula, but not breast milk, is toxic to cells

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Ta

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really like how from this study they are also looking into making a formula that is more suitable for prem babies.

I think donor milk is fabulous i really do, but i can understand why some are squeemish about it, to me its no differnt to a blood transfusion i dont find that yuky no more than i do donor EBM but i can see why some do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (13-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would like to reiterate that I FF so am in no way meaning this in a judgemental way... But why would people be squemish about human milk but not cow's milk??

If I ever get pregnant again I am really really worried about the breastfeeding part (I experienced extreme breastfeeding aversion, hard to explain but really hard to deal with)... I really really hope that donor milk will be an option for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by changethestars View Post
    I would like to reiterate that I FF so am in no way meaning this in a judgemental way... But why would people be squemish about human milk but not cow's milk??

If I ever get pregnant again I am really really worried about the breastfeeding part (I experienced extreme breastfeeding aversion, hard to explain but really hard to deal with)... I really really hope that donor milk will be an option for me

It doesn't bother me. I thought the same thing.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I donated milk to a baby whose mother died, along with many other women in a network organised by her home birth midwives. She was exclusively breastmilk fed for sux months. The donors were all screened by GPs for HIV etc.

There is a risk of transmission of HIV but guidelines in Africa have changed because many more babies were dying from formula use than were getting HIV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I FF and am in no way offended.

I prefer milk to come from a person them an animal.

Thanks for posting, very very interesting.
    Last edited by waterlily; 13-12-2012 at 08:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My thesis is on maternal to child transmission of HIV thru breast milk. In developing countries where proper sanitation is unheard of the trial we are running focus's on exclusive bfing and the rates of transmission in mothers even with a high viral load is next to nothing whereas in mothers that mixed feed- formula/food/breast milk the transmission rates are as high as 40% in some communities- not to mention the infant mortality rates from other diseases such as cholera, typhoid and malaria which bf Babies get immunity from their mothers from. (sorry for the deviation off the topic- this area is my passion). I'm not sure of the statistics on women in developed countries on transmission of HIV but I do know they are encouraged to feed if they have a low viral load.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

SPC  (13-12-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Changethestars- sounds like DMER? I don't think there is a treatment though, unfortunately.

Rates of premature birth are going up, due to a range of factors, such as increased multiple births, IVF, more high risk pregnancies, drug use, obesity, diabetes, older mothers, pre eclampsia etc. And more prems are surviving at 24weeks and above than before. We know that there are certain medical conditions, such as infected gums, that increase the risk of premature birth, and that multiple Caesars can lead to conditions like placenta previa and accreta that increase risk of premature delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Changethestars- sounds like DMER? I don't think there is a treatment though, unfortunately.

Rates of premature birth are going up, due to a range of factors, such as increased multiple births, IVF, more high risk pregnancies, drug use, obesity, diabetes, older mothers, pre eclampsia etc. And more prems are surviving at 24weeks and above than before. We know that there are certain medical conditions, such as infected gums, that increase the risk of premature birth, and that multiple Caesars can lead to conditions like placenta previa and accreta that increase risk of premature delivery.
    Thats great SPC

In regards to IVF being a risk factor, I think that is due to the fact that more older women end up taking the IVF path (and perhaps women with other medical conditions), rather than younger women therefore it is more an 'older mother factor'. Once the embryo is implanted, the pregnancy should be no different to any other. I asked my OB as he said told me all these risks (including low birth weight) however due to my age (29 and 31) my risk was low. (Both my IVF babies were 8 and 9 pounds and born at 40 weeks and 39+4