+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    I'm not really sure I understand the point of this thread really. If someone gives birth to a premmie or at risk baby, wouldn't it be standard procedure/ compulsory to give Bm wether it be the mums or donor?
    Isnt this (first post) a well known fact (according to some things I've been reading this avo.)
    Isnt the babies risk reduced once they are over 1kg, therefore the mother can take her baby home once they are healthy and make her own feeding choice?
    Only 3 major maternity hospitals in Australia have milk banks..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Only 3 major maternity hospitals in Australia have milk banks..
    I was going to say this. I feel frustrated sometimes when people always suggest donor milk.... that live in Syd or Melb. There are no milk banks out here, they just don't exist. ATM donor milk is for a privileged few sadly...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I was going to say this. I feel frustrated sometimes when people always suggest donor milk.... that live in Syd or Melb. There are no milk banks out here, they just don't exist. ATM donor milk is for a privileged few sadly...
    It's very sad that it's not available for these premmie babies I had no idea (and I'm sure many women feel the same) how hard it is to get donor milk. Are premmie babies on the rise due to maternal age rising? I guess that's another thread altogether. It would be great if more mothers knew about the shortage issue/problems. Perhaps more would donate once BF was established with their own baby or is that too hard? Or perhaps around the time baby was being weaned off bm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    And from what I have heard milk is in shortage. They are all pretty strict on donation rules eg. the donating Mums bub has to be a newborn as well.
    I didnt know that! So you can only donate to a premmie baby if your baby is newborn? Gosh that makes it so hard! I know I would feel easier donating now as my supply is established.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    I didnt know that! So you can only donate to a premmie baby if your baby is newborn? Gosh that makes it so hard! I know I would feel easier donating now as my supply is established.
    I'm guessing bc bm changes as the baby grows, a premmie would need newborn milk, not milk that is say from a 6mo where the composition/make up of the milk has changed?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think we need to focus on reducing the premature rate as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm guessing bc bm changes as the baby grows, a premmie would need newborn milk, not milk that is say from a 6mo where the composition/make up of the milk has changed?

Yikes! Makes it super hard. Well maybe more maternity hospitals need to look at promoting this in their wards. Perhaps 2nd+ times mums to newborns will feel comfortable doing this (first timers would most likely be too busy establishing how to bf and becoming a mum!)

Most factors that contribute to premmie babies are less now arent they (smoking, drug/alcohol, certain foods etc)? We are more aware. I can only think of age.
    Oh what about mothers health, like being overweight or type 2 diabetes, is that a factor contributing to premmies?
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 12-12-2012 at 19:32.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default In vitro study finds digested formula, but not breast milk, is toxic to cells

I had a letter from my maternity hospital (Mercy in Melbourne) asking me to donate when DS was about 8 weeks I think. I would have loved to and I was really impressed that they were actively reaching out to people; however I was struggling with supply so I really couldn't afford to spare any milk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I so want to give my children BM but I struggled with supply for both and have to comp so much...this article makes me feel sadder. Anyone wants to donate BM to my 2 months old bub?? I am still giving him whatever I can but its pathetic compared to the amount of formula he's taking.

i am sure there's a lot of skeptics out there regarding this. My DH will be one. i mean, there are so many women out there who want to BF but due to a variety of reasons just can't. Then what should they do?
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 12-12-2012 at 19:49.

Thanks
    Reviews

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast