+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default In vitro study finds digested formula, but not breast milk, is toxic to cells

My DD was born at 28weeks and I was advised that the hospital policy was to provide donor milk until a) your milk comes in b) baby reaches 1kg or c) baby has been in NICU for 30 days.

Unfortunately, my milk never really came in! Certainly not by lack of trying (a billion LC's, midi's, herbal supplements, medication and acupuncture). Because I didn't want my baby fed formula (I kept believing one day I'd be leaking milk) I chose to "buy" donor milk to top up mine. However, at $160/litre (including freight) this wasn't really sustainable. Yes you eventually get a kick back in tax as you're actually donating to the milk bank but it's still quite pricey! Add to that the stress of having a prem, finishing work 3 months earlier, thousands of $$ in car parking at hospital etc.

I managed to have DD on donor milk and my milk for 7.5 weeks and after that she went to a combo of whatever I could get out and pre-term formula made by Aptamil. We were discharged at 9 weeks (DD was still not quite 37weeks) and she had to start on normal formula as I was advised that pre-term formula isn't available to the general public.

I was also advised by doctors and nurses that each feed a prem has is also combined with protein supplements etc so they aren't having straight BM until they actually suck directly from you. I wonder if any of that type of thing was included in the study?

I really do think that the option of donor milk needs to be more readily available, however I can understand that it costs milk banks lots of money in set up and screening the milk etc. In Brisbane a new bank has opened so maybe that's helped ease it a bit? I know many mothers who had such an oversupply of milk and had bags and bags stored up but either hadn't been tested by the milk bank or were waiting for it to be collected by them.

I did have a couple of friends offer to donate their milk but I just felt like I couldn't risk it because I didn't know all their medical history etc and my baby had already entered with a hard start, I didn't want to do something "wrong" and have her made worse by trying to do the right thing, iykwim.

Hopefully they can continue to research and maybe this might help push more funding to milk banks/Prems! *fingers crossed*

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default In vitro study finds digested formula, but not breast milk, is toxic to cells

Thanks so much for sharing SPC! Very interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks for sharing. I know that King Edwards in Perth tube and bottle feed either mums or donated breast milk to their premmies.
    It's after they are discharged that this can become an issue if mums milk hasn't come in or they can't express. We need better and more readily available milk banks for ALL babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This just goes to show that we need better formula or easier and more affordable access to donor milk.
    I don't have a choice, my baby gets as much BM as I can give her. I don't have a good supply and I can't fill her up, so I have to top up with formula. I'd love to see a better alternative!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not really sure I understand the point of this thread really. If someone gives birth to a premmie or at risk baby, wouldn't it be standard procedure/ compulsory to give Bm wether it be the mums or donor?
    Isnt this (first post) a well known fact (according to some things I've been reading this avo.)
    Isnt the babies risk reduced once they are over 1kg, therefore the mother can take her baby home once they are healthy and make her own feeding choice?
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 12-12-2012 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Donor milk wasnt an option for us due to my children's severe allergies. However I did manage to go on a strict NO dairy/soy/wheat/egg/gluten diet and breastfeed ds for 11 months and dd for 6 months before switching to a prescription formula. In all honesty they were both pretty sick when being Breastfed i.e.: projectile vomiting, pooing blood, skin rash, failing to thrive etc and I am so thankful that their was another option avaliable to us. They both improved dramatically when on the prescription formula. I wish they would do some better research on those children with allergies and develop better formulas.... It was such a tough time for me and no one seemed to be able to help us. Im glad its over, however Im too scared to have another baby in case they have allergies like ds and dd. Very interesting research by the way
    Last edited by RipperRita; 12-12-2012 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Geez way to make women who formula feed feel bad...nice.
    A fact is a fact is a fact. Are we all to stop stating facts now just cos it might offend people? Goodness me!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (12-12-2012),singlemumma82  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    I'm not really sure I understand the point of this thread really. If someone gives birth to a premmie or at risk baby, wouldn't it be standard procedure/ compulsory to give Bm wether it be the mums or donor?
    Sure, it should be but it isn't always possible. Maybe donation should be easier to access and maintenance of a milk bank not so expensive. This post reinforces this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Sure, it should be but it isn't always possible. Maybe donation should be easier to access and maintenance of a milk bank not so expensive. This post reinforces this point.

Oh that's really sad if a hospital could not provide. Poor babies

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Oh that's really sad if a hospital could not provide. Poor babies
    Hospital resources are very tight at the moment. Tighter I should say.