+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Induction with gel

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am 99% certain you will end up with a csection. I will put money on it. Sorry to be a downer, but I've seen it too many times. Prepare yourself for this outcome.
    I've researched just in case thanks but I truly hope not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Induction with gel

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am 99% certain you will end up with a csection. I will put money on it. Sorry to be a downer, but I've seen it too many times. Prepare yourself for this outcome.
    I had the gel to induce me with DS1 and whilst I was hypersensitive to it and it started contractions straight away with no break in between I was able to have a drug free vaginal birth. I think the worst part of it was that I was alone and scared.

It is possible to not have a csection after being induced.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I had the gel to induce me with DS1 and whilst I was hypersensitive to it and it started contractions straight away with no break in between I was able to have a drug free vaginal birth. I think the worst part of it was that I was alone and scared.

It is possible to not have a csection after being induced.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    It is possible (I've had a VB from being induced) but the earlier it is done the higher the risk of it ending in an emergency cs. If the gel had not have worked in your instance then they may have tried again, if that didn't work within their timeframes then you would have had a cannula inserted and syntocin given. Whilst some women have wonderful births this way many, many others have quite stressful births. The contractions are hard and fast from the onset, you are hooked up to machines and very likely being permanently monitored. If the baby doesn't want to come out (which some do not) or is getting too stressed (hardly surprising given what's going on) then it will end in an emergency c-s.

Thanks
    Reviews

So is it 'hard and fast' straight away with gel too? Or just the drip?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think that induction itself causes "hard and fast" contractions, regardless of the method used to bring on contractions. With me they tried the gel but it didn't work so it was time for the drip and they started very quickly after that. In my experience it felt worse than my previous labour (which was spontaneous) because there doesn't really seem to be a gentle lead up contraction wise, I think that's why it's described as hard and fast and more painful because it just progresses so fast and you're feeling pretty intense contraction pain from he onset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Gel is not hard and fast, it will sometimes do absolutely nothing! with my second bub, I had my first lot of gel at 8am, second lot at 6pm- nothing happened in between really.

After the second lot OB said I could rest till the morning then if still nothing I could have the drip, he said that would be intense, as there is no lead up to it.
    However DS had other plans and arrived at 2am
    Mine was a VB, and induction was at 38wks.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    So is it 'hard and fast' straight away with gel too? Or just the drip?
    It wasn't hard and fast for me. I had some pre-labour contractions but nothing that eventuated in labour. It seems to be a more gentle way of induction, the problem is that if labour doesn't start within a certain time frame then they might try again or you might be given the cannula with syntocin. It seems that if gel starts labour then labour seems to go reasonably well but if it doesn't then you're on a slippery slope to the cascade of intervention -
    syntocin - Epi - constant monitoring - arm - screw into baby's head to monitor (can't remember the right name) - episiotomy (sp?) - vacuum or forceps delivery - c-sect

Maybe ask how long after the gel is inserted before they start talking of further intervention if the gel does nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think everyone is different. For me the gel did nothing but the odd crampy feeling. The drip brought contractions on for me. I think it depends on how ready your body is for labour.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Maybe ask how long after the gel is inserted before they start talking of further intervention if the gel does nothing.
    Thanks - yes I've discussed that with my OB. He's happy to give the gel 3 attempts before raising the drip option. I asked if I could decline that and just wait, to which he replied 'yes, although not common. Most women once started want to get it over with'.

But in essence he will leave it up to me (providing my blood pressure and placenta are ok at the time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had the tape on the cervix which I think is similar to the gel, it was put on at 5pm, I had mild contractions throughout the night, was in full blown labour by 5pm the next night, waters broke at 6pm. However, they wanted to manually break my waters at 12pm, but there were no staff or birthing suites, so by the time they came back a few hours later I was allready in labour. So maybe if they try and push you for the drip or ARM, ask if you can wait at least 24hrs first.