+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Induction with gel

I had 2 lots of gel on the Friday night, nothing happened besides some weak contractions was asked to come back Sunday night, more gel, more weak contractions, doctor came up and gave me a stretch and sweep, broke my waters, pretty much went straight into full blown labor, she was born a shocking 40 minutes later. I shook for hours after. It was actually the weirdest birth!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My experience was a good one...

Arrived at hospital at like 7pm, due to be induced the next morning. OB came, did internal (which hurt like a mofo) then put in gel and said "see you tomorrow morning". Within about half an hour I started having contractions. I was told by all the midwives that it was just braxton hicks and the cervix softening from the gel so I kind of rode out the ongoing contractions for the next 2.5 hours. They gave me 2 panadol and 2 sleeping pills and told me to try sleep so I was rested for labour the next morning. Then half an hour later (3hrs after gel) FOB grabbed a midwife and forced her to do something because it was hurting and surely braxton hicks dont hurt so bad. They did an internal and said I was fully dilated. Pushed DS out in half an hour and that was that.

Sleeping pills were awesome actually....kept me dopey and calm though they did nothing for the pain. I honestly think I handled the pain soo well because I was told they WERENT contractions so my brain kind of muffled them thinking that this is nothing and contractions 'tomorrow' are going to be worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 was induced on a wed night at 7pm via gel and I was already 2-3cm dilated. I got some minor contractions straight away and tried to sleep... waters broke at 4.30am on the thurs with irregular contractions... walking/rocking etc to get them regular did nothing so by 6pm on thurs night i got the drip. HELL!!!! got the epi shortly afterwards... I refuse to think about the next six hours as it still brings me to tears and gives me anxiety. DD1 was posterior, 4kg, 38cm head stuck and born via vacuum at 1.10am on fri morning.

so it wasnt short. it was a horrible experience.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies

So I had my appt yesterday and he has booked me in for an induction on the 4th March. But he has stressed that I can still change my mind anytime if I'm not comfortable with this avenue. We have an appt on the 28th to go over any further concerns I may have too, which is reassuring.

He has advised I'd go in at 3-4pm for gel. I'll wait a bit to see if anything happens straight away, if not I can go home for awhile. I'd then come back at 7am the next morning for the 2nd round of gel if still not in labour. I've stressed I'd like to avoid the drip as much as possible, which is his preference too, hence this plan.

Does it sound ok? I'm kind of nervous now that I have a date, but also excited to know I've only got 2 weeks left instead of up to 4-5! I'm over this pain.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just do what feels right for you, it's exciting to know it's soon, I'm excited for you. I have been following your threads and wish you the best of luck. ( I went through my pregnancy on my own and it's hard and lonely at times hey)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Just do what feels right for you, it's exciting to know it's soon, I'm excited for you. I have been following your threads and wish you the best of luck. ( I went through my pregnancy on my own and it's hard and lonely at times hey)
    Thanks heaps
    Yes it feels really lonely. I'll have my sisters supporting me which is great, but not the same as a partner/fob. I'm trying to stay focused on the positives though and can't wait to meet him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can get an internal and ask for your bishops score. This can give an indication of how ready your body is for labour which might help you make your decision. Though in saying that, your body can change quickly too from a low score to a high one. Just a thought. Google bishops score and you'll see what I mean. This is a calculator for it... http://www.babymed.com/bishop-score-...ion-calculator
    My score was not great, so after gel, drip, and the drip pumped up over the high dose I ended up with a c section. Not that it matters. I was more than happy for labour to be over.
    Anyway, its worth some thought. Best of luck on a safe arrival!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I am 99% certain you will end up with a csection. I will put money on it. Sorry to be a downer, but I've seen it too many times. Prepare yourself for this outcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Oh, and I've been induced, but not with gel, as my cervix was already ripe and ready, and slightly open.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
    I have been induced twice first time with gel second with catheter. So I can't inform you of the "increased" pain rather than going into labour naturally. I was induced both times at 37 + 2 for medical reasons. I was informed of the risk of c-section before hand. I was given 2 lots of gel then the drip after they broke my waters, dd1 was born within 4 hours of this with no drugs. People say that you can't move but you can go to the toilet and stretch so your not completely restrained.

Each individual experiences labour differently, there is risks with induction as well as natural labour. The best thing to do is vocalise any queries you have, if you need pain relief ask for it. And just think you will have a beautiful baby that will be all worth the "extra" pain.

Goodluck!!
    Do you mean cannula?