+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been induced twice first time with gel second with catheter. So I can't inform you of the "increased" pain rather than going into labour naturally. I was induced both times at 37 + 2 for medical reasons. I was informed of the risk of c-section before hand. I was given 2 lots of gel then the drip after they broke my waters, dd1 was born within 4 hours of this with no drugs. People say that you can't move but you can go to the toilet and stretch so your not completely restrained.

Each individual experiences labour differently, there is risks with induction as well as natural labour. The best thing to do is vocalise any queries you have, if you need pain relief ask for it. And just think you will have a beautiful baby that will be all worth the "extra" pain.

Goodluck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, definately no going home to wait! I was induced with gel and the third dose did the trick and very quickly. It was no big deal at all (as it turns out) and bub was born 2.5 hours later. My first bub took 19 hours to arrive at that was all natural. By far the induction was an easier labour and birth.

I was soooo freaked out after reading stuff on here about inductions - I was a head case by the time I was given the third dose. And it was nothing to worry about at all!

Gel can work very quickly. The girl in the bed next to me got her first dose, husband said good-bye and went home to bed and not long after he left she went into labour and bub was born within 2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Induction with gel

Wow, thanks ladies! There are definitely lots of aspects I wasn't really aware of yet....perhaps I shouldn't have asked, ha ha

I do have one more question if I may please - is it more common to stay on the monitor when induced? Or can I be as 'natural' as possible after the gel?

With my DS we had serious issues with his heartrate (among other things) so I had no choice but to stay lying down hooked up to a monitor that would beep every 5-10mins with an alarm, which caused more anxiety for me. As i wasn't able to move or change positions, I ended up with an epidural which is exactly what I didn't want. At the end of the day a healthy bub is all I care about, drugs or no drugs, but I really want to avoid that this time if I can. I want to be able to have an 'active' labour, not immobile on a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews

I never had the monitoring at all. Was never hooked up to anything. Just one dose of the gel and I was in labour almost immediately. I was very active during labour. I guess my body was just ready so one dose of the gel was enough to get things going. It just depends how your body reacts to the gel I suppose? You might be like me and be sent straight into labour, no monitoring or drip needed, or you might have the gel and nothing happens then you'd need the drip etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I had the gel with ds at 42 weeks. Inserted around 7pm, started feeling twinges at around 11pm, he was born at 3.34am. Labour was 2 hrs 45 mins so very quick and intense. No drugs or tears and I was active on labour, I had him leaning over the bed on my knees. The midwife wanted to put a monitoring thing on my belly so she had to do it with me still leaning over cause there was no way I was moving once I found that position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hospital I birthed at had cordless monitors so you can still move around and be monitored. Dd1 was so mobile I couldn't use these unfortunately but did try, dd2 was out within an hour so u didn't get a real chance to get to uncomfortable

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The gel is used for a high and closed cervix. I had 2 lots with my ds as well as the drip (hospital policy) the drip was worse than the gel in my case
    I had a similar situation. I was 38 weeks (high blood pressure) and nothing was soft or even beginning to open. The gel did a little bit to get things going but I had to have the drip too. Sorry to be negative but it was horrible and I wasn't dilating. No break in any of the contractions or even the minor pains from the gel. Ended up having an epidural and pethidine which put me to sleep and I dialated to 10cm! From then on it was a breeze! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMac View Post
    I had a similar situation. I was 38 weeks (high blood pressure) and nothing was soft or even beginning to open. The gel did a little bit to get things going but I had to have the drip too. Sorry to be negative but it was horrible and I wasn't dilating. No break in any of the contractions or even the minor pains from the gel. Ended up having an epidural and pethidine which put me to sleep and I dialated to 10cm! From then on it was a breeze! Lol.
    That's fine, I wanted honest feedback thanks!

I didn't dilate properly with DS either, despite my contractions coming thick and fast. It's one of the reasons I ended up with the epidural, but even then I still didn't dilate properly so they gave me something in the drip to speed things along because bub was getting really distressed by then.

Don't get me wrong, the epidural was like liquid gold after everything is been through! But I still want to avoid it this time around if I can. It sounds as though most ladies have fast labours after being induced, so maybe I've got a chance at drug free!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced but at 41 weeks. Had the gel around 9pm, was told to go to sleep which was impossible because I was so anxious - eventually fell asleep and woke at around 12.30am with cramps, took some nurofen or some other pain killer, walked around the room, bounced on the fit ball and thence waters broke... Was in labour pretty much from that point onwards but it took about 7 hours to get into active labour (after 3cm dilated).

I was a lot more scared about the induction than the labour itself, and I was well informed about the whole cascade of intervention. I'm so thankful for my amazing birth experience which was spent mainly walking around the room and hopping in the bath/shower. It did go for ages but was manageable and I had a vaginal birth with only some gas toward the end of a 16hr labour. I did get an episiotomy but my OB said I was so far stretched that he was scared I would get a 4th degree tear, so I had to follow his advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had 6 lots of gel and it did nothing. So as other PPs have said, sometimes it just doesn't work. I found out later I should have had a c/section instead of them just trying to induce and induce and induce.

And yes, you stay in hospital as soon as they start any inducement apart from a Stretch and sweep.