+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lets talk about what we would change in our labour /births

A thread to keep our minds on something other then ttc or the tww which I'm sure we are all constantly thinking about.

So lets chat about what you would of done or will do with your next birth / labour. And why!

Me I'd change a lot one I wish I moved around more and didn't stay in bed the whole time I had a posterior baby and the worst back labour ever nothing I did helped I had every drug over the moon
    My next one ill be trying to move around a lot more and try not to be so off my face I actually want to feel what giving birth feels like and be in control I guess the thing is every birth is different so when it comes to it it may be different.

What has anyone else got to say would live to hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't think I'd change anything. I did what felt right at the time, it didn't go 'to plan' but I think I did well in the circumstances and DD arrived healthy

Next time I'll go in with the same open mindset and do what feels right at the time. I'd love to avoid an epi if I can but will see how I go. I think the epi saved me from having a c/s last time so if it went the same way I'd have the epi again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I was very open minded but a 2 day labour was not what I was after lol it wasn't that I didn't want drugs just guess like u said I did what I felt I had to to get through only thinking back it could of been a lot different if I hadn't of stayed in bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would change 2 things...

1. Say "No" to a stretch and sweep and be more patient!! (Yes it worked but I only did it cos I was impatient, no other reason)
    2. Say "No" to the epidural. I felt pressured to get one but feel I could have gone without it (got to 8cm with no pain relief and felt I was coping fine). As soon as I had the epi and was confined to bed my labour went crazy and I ended up in a c-section as labour stalled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by chan87 View Post
    Yes I was very open minded but a 2 day labour was not what I was after lol it wasn't that I didn't want drugs just guess like u said I did what I felt I had to to get through only thinking back it could of been a lot different if I hadn't of stayed in bed
    Oh I hear ya! My labour started on a Tuesday night and DD was born on Thursday morning. I really wanted to be active or in the bath but at the time the bath gave me the sh!ts and I just wanted to lie on my side lol!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (12-12-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably would have been nice to have gone into labour/contractions as soon as my water broke.... but instead I walked around leaking for 2 days (don't even ask how many pads and towels I went through..lol) before being induced.
    But having said that, I loved my labours, I truly did, and I probably wouldn't change a thing! It was an exciting, loving and amazing couple of days.

Actually, I would change something.... Something I'm feeling regret over recently.
    I sent my mum home with my DS (also my MIL and 2 SIL) as they had been waiting all day out in the waiting room and I just wanted them all to go and focus on my labour with just DH there (DS wanted to go home anyway, but still...).
    I had no idea that I'd have her so soon after they left... not even an hour after they left I had DD. But I asked DH to wait a couple of hours before calling them and telling them that she'd been born (I was sick, vomiting, unable to walk etc and didn't want them coming back until the next day).... and I regret that. I regret that they waited all day and night and I made them leave. I regret not allowing my mum in the room. I haven't told anyone this but it has been playing on mind a lot lately and I feel guilty about it. You can never predict thow you will feel about certain things whilst in labour, I guess I was just irritated and exhausted and wanted everyone gone. Sadly.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 11-12-2012 at 21:27.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (12-12-2012),youmake3  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Only one thing - would have got ambulance cover whilst pregnant (edit: $1000 bill...not fun).
    I ended up giving birth, still on the ambulance stretcher, about 5 minutes after arriving at hospital. This was after the midwife coming to check on me and saying "we either call an ambulance, or you're having this baby here".
    I suppose in hindsight, a homebirth would have been fine as well.

Otherwise, pretty happy with how things went. 3 days of latent labour (urgh), then only a few hours of active labour...stayed very active the entire time, made good use of a stress ball, the bath, and bashing up our hair brush (hasn't been the same since).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS1:
    Wouldnt go to hospital so early.
    Wouldnt let them break my waters.
    wouldnt let them give me pethidine
    wouldnt let them force me to lay on the bed
    wouldnt let them coach my pushing
    wouldnt let them give me an episiotomy
    wouldnt let them use the vacuum on ds.
    wouldnt let them cut the cord so quick
    wouldnt let them take ds away from me,
    make them pass me ds straight away
    (them= hospital, midwives, drs)

I did change all this and because i did,
    ds2- wouldnt change a thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't clock watch.
    I'd find a nicer father of my child. (Done!)
    I'd have support there, with me, while I labor.
    I'd prepare myself more for the labor. Next time, I'd look more into hypnosis and water birth.
    I'd surround myself with people who loved me and supported me and could help me go natural.

I'd bring food to the hospital!
    I'd sew clothes for the new baby since I now have a sewing machine! I have a powerful nesting instinct, what can I say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmmm also whilst my labour didn't go to plan I think it went the right way for DS. He went posterior and got stuck. They gave me such a long time to get him out naturally but his head started to swell as did my cervix so they said I needed emc. They even gave me time to consider this.

If I could change anything for the next birth I wish I was back in Brissie with exactly the same carers I had for DS as I am wee bit anxious about where I will do it here.

Am actually considering saving up for a private birthing unit where they have pools and all this other stuff and private rooms. ahhhh