+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 year old wont eat! Please help!

Hi, I have posted this before and I have seen many similar posts on here about this. I am hoping I will get some fresh advice or ideas!

DS is 21 months old and he just wont eat! Hes no very tall (I am pretty short) and hes VERY light only 10kg! 3rd percentile. Clinic nurse said that he looks proportional and if hes got dirty and wet nappies hes ok. Doctor said similar things. But honestly I am super worried.

He has some yogurt and cereal for breakfast, maybe 2 spoon full of cereal and then pretty much nothing for lunch, and maybe 2 spoon fulls of dinner. I know he gets hungry. Because he asks for sacks in between. The only snacks he would eat is yorgurt, watermelon or rice crackers.

I have tried:
    -cook different flavoured food
    -cut down snacks in between meals
    -offer a snack platter with variety of foods and colors

Once he wanted watermelon at dinner time, i didnt give him any and hes so stubborn that he went to bed without any dinner or snacks!

I expressed my concern to the clinic nurse and she said to offer him his meal, if he refuses then dont give him anything else till next meal time.
    I dont know if its a good idea. he would either be super cranky and hungry till the next meal time and eat what ever is offered, OR he could get over hungry and he wont be able to eat much becaue his stomach has shrunk! If i skip a meal and I would be super hungry but comes meal time i wont be able to eat much because my stomach has shrunk. So i dont know if its a good idea.

Anyone has similar problems? ANy ideas or advice? What works for you?
    Please help! All suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 2 year old wont eat! Please help!

Speaking from HUGE personal experience (my son has Aspergers and had very early sensory issues related to food) I would have given him the watermelon.

I have found that when it comes to TRUELY fussy kids that giving them what they want (within reason) is the best way forward. Even now at 5 years old my son will on occasion have fruit or yogurt for dinner... So what?? If it's healthy I let him. Having said that, most of the time now that he's older he will eat whatever we are having.

Dinner should not be a battle... So don't make it one.

PS. My son is and always has been on the 3rd%ile. Nothing wrong with a low percentile as long as he stays on the same line. :-)

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Pps : my son is hardly ever hungry and at 21 months would happily go 6-8 hours without any food. He has sensory processing issues though as I mentioned and he just doesn't seem to register hunger very often... He also feels full very quickly even after a couple bites.

Thanks
    Reviews

My son was/ is just like this. He is 5 now and we are slowly expanding his 'food list' but not by much unfortunately. I have always puréed a whole heap of veggies and added them to whatever he will eat- eg spaghetti Bol, on home made pizza under the cheese, through mashed potato in mac and cheese etc I also let him have a glass of milk and fruit cut up before bed (will only eat grapes strawberries and banana) . His 2 year old sister will choose eggs avocado and tomato for dinner or hummus and carrot for a snack but I've tried with him one billion times and it just ain't happening. We are preservative and additive free and low sugar so as healthy as we can be given his limitations.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spotsmum For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by spotsmum View Post
    My son was/ is just like this. He is 5 now and we are slowly expanding his 'food list' but not by much unfortunately. I have always puréed a whole heap of veggies and added them to whatever he will eat- eg spaghetti Bol, on home made pizza under the cheese, through mashed potato in mac and cheese etc I also let him have a glass of milk and fruit cut up before bed (will only eat grapes strawberries and banana) . His 2 year old sister will choose eggs avocado and tomato for dinner or hummus and carrot for a snack but I've tried with him one billion times and it just ain't happening. We are preservative and additive free and low sugar so as healthy as we can be given his limitations.
    Awesome advice! Sounds similar with the fruit except here its only watermelon, mango & banana lol

Thanks
    Reviews

My son goes through stages of not eating much and I personally give him what he wants even if its just cereal or fruit for dinner. I feel more comfortable knowing that he's at least eaten something.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Awesome advice! Sounds similar with the fruit except here its only watermelon, mango & banana lol
    Thanks

Wanted to add, we also give him sides of vegetables in their natural state - basically because I live in hope!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spotsmum For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

[QUOTE=Happy2be3;I would have given him the watermelon.

I have found that when it comes to TRUELY fussy kids that giving them what they want (within reason) is the best way forward. Even now at 5 years old my son will on occasion have fruit or yogurt for dinner... So what?? If it's healthy I let him.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

DD is one fussy eater. Probably started around 2- 2 1/2 about the time she discovered the 'Lollies' at our house were actually sultanas!

I did the no snacks, if she did not have lunch then wait till dinner, which just did not work she gets overly hungry, cranky wont eat anything and then the battle goes up a level lol

So I decided that dinner would no longer be a battle! She is now 8 and knows what healthy option is. And sometimes rarely now but still does happen she will have fruit and yogurt for dinner.
    I still just avoid too much junk, that if I allowed it she'd eat by the ton!
    We also still go over healthy food options in more depth now that she is older.

DD weighed at 4 what DS did 18mths. Nothing wrong with a consistent 3rdpercentile

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yo has been thru stages of not eating I know how frustrating and worrying it is. He will go months being great, eating salads and healthy meals and then bam out of nowhere he starts refusing meals again. So far today, I offered him a plate of banana, cup of milk, bowl of weetbix, bowl of left over spag bog, a sandwich, a musli bar, and a plate of apple. Out of all of that, all he has eaten is literally the banana. Quite worrying!! As a baby he'd go thru stages of eating only bananas or baby yoghurt.

My tips:
    1. Don't fuss about it. Don't get angry or upset jst be casual so they don't learn to do it on purpose, or, so they don't get upset with the fuss and then refuse even longer to not eat.
    2. Don't give in by giving unhealthy snacks or meals. My sister did this with her fussy eater, all he'd want would be packet snacks, packet noodles, spring rolls, pies, mcdonalds, juice, flavored milk etc. She really though it was better than him not eating anything as he'd refuse healthy food, and he ended up anemic and with a few other minor health issues (intolerances etc) at age 6 which is sad.
    3. Watermelon (and anything healthy) for dinner is okay it doesn't really matter if he eats his breaky for dinner and dinner for breaky - as long as he is eating a healthy meal that is okay and his body will be getting nutrients .

I read in a book, that at a young age it is not about teaching them how to eat, it's just about teaching them TO eat. In other words, letting them get the drift of eating and having fun and feeling good in their tummies and not worrying about if their dinner is for breaky or breaky for dinner.

Persistence is key, keep it up, eventually your little honey will start eating.

Also, at that age I gave my son a supplement drink for toddlers who weren't eating much. I think it was by karicare? It is only to be given once or twice daily, but it's basically a formula with extra added minerals an vitamins for small eaters. I gave my son a morning drink (about an hour after breaky time) and then one after dinner before bed.
    I just kept offering healthy food and not making a big deal about it and not giving
    Him unhealthy snacks or lots of milk/juice and eventually he started nibbling and nibbling turned to eating a full meal. We'd eat out a lot (like restaurant meals or family bbqs etc) and he watched other kids eat and other adults eat and began to copy which helped heaps. So eventually he learned. But i must admit he still does go thru his stages and for the last week he has decided to not have an appetite but I know he wil pick it up again

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yo has been thru stages of not eating I know how frustrating and worrying it is. He will go months being great, eating salads and healthy meals and then bam out of nowhere he starts refusing meals again. So far today, I offered him a plate of banana, cup of milk, bowl of weetbix, bowl of left over spag bog, a sandwich, a musli bar, and a plate of apple. Out of all of that, all he has eaten is literally the banana. Quite worrying!! As a baby he'd go thru stages of eating only bananas or baby yoghurt.

My tips:
    1. Don't fuss about it. Don't get angry or upset jst be casual so they don't learn to do it on purpose, or, so they don't get upset with the fuss and then refuse even longer to not eat.
    2. Don't give in by giving unhealthy snacks or meals. My sister did this with her fussy eater, all he'd want would be packet snacks, packet noodles, spring rolls, pies, mcdonalds, juice, flavored milk etc. She really though it was better than him not eating anything as he'd refuse healthy food, and he ended up anemic and with a few other minor health issues (intolerances etc) at age 6 which is sad.
    3. Watermelon (and anything healthy) for dinner is okay it doesn't really matter if he eats his breaky for dinner and dinner for breaky - as long as he is eating a healthy meal that is okay and his body will be getting nutrients .

I read in a book, that at a young age it is not about teaching them how to eat, it's just about teaching them TO eat. In other words, letting them get the drift of eating and having fun and feeling good in their tummies and not worrying about if their dinner is for breaky or breaky for dinner.

Persistence is key, keep it up, eventually your little honey will start eating.

Also, at that age I gave my son a supplement drink for toddlers who weren't eating much. I think it was by karicare? It is only to be given once or twice daily, but it's basically a formula with extra added minerals an vitamins for small eaters. I gave my son a morning drink (about an hour after breaky time) and then one after dinner before bed.
    I just kept offering healthy food and not making a big deal about it and not giving
    Him unhealthy snacks or lots of milk/juice and eventually he started nibbling and nibbling turned to eating a full meal. We'd eat out a lot (like restaurant meals or family bbqs etc) and he watched other kids eat and other adults eat and began to copy which helped heaps. So eventually he learned. But i must admit he still does go thru his stages and for the last week he has decided to not have an appetite but I know he wil pick it up again

Goodluck