+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    84
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Weaning off formula

    DS is now 12 months and we have been trying to introduce plain cows milk instead of formula for the last month. I feel like I have tried every way of mixing milk and formula but he won't have a bar of it. He happily has it on weet-bix but on it's own no.
    We have also been trying to give him less bottles. We've got him down to 3 bottles most days, He still wakes at night for a bottle. Lucky for me he prefers it to be room temp so I can leave it in his cot and sometimes he will just take it himself but more often than not he has pushed it out of the way and can't find it. The health nurse suggest offering him water at night instead of the bottle but that has ended in him then being awake for 3 hours screaming.

    He was also on AR formula and we haven't been able to get him off that either. When we try to change it he just spits it out and ends up screaming for the thicker stuff.

    He has been such a good kid until this, now he's grumpy and sooky all the time and even going to sleep has become really difficult through the day and at night. He won't go to sleep without a fight or being rocked now.

    I feel like I am failing as a parent and I am so tired, I am 6 weeks off having twins and I am tired all the time. The screaming/ fight to go to sleep or for the bottle is wearing me out I don't know what to do.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalgoorlie
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked
    33
    Reviews
    0
    I'm weaning to cows milk atm and have found she finds it a bit tasteless (we were recommended to water it 50/50 but she prefers it 75/25). She didn't like it mixed wth her formula at all.
    Have you tried cutting the bottle all together and offering it in a sippy cup/with a straw etc? DD will drink anything that has a straw in it.
    Don't have any real suggestions with the AR formula, DD had no issues coming off hers... perhaps you could try slowly watering it down to thin it out? Say an extra 20 or so mls every couple of days? Depending which brand you use you could maybe slowly introduce a scoop of the normal formula.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (12-12-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    104
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Weaning off formula

    Subbing for future reference!

    DD is 9.5 months and on soy formula. Not sure how she will go with soy milk!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Subbing for future reference!

    DD is 9.5 months and on soy formula. Not sure how she will go with soy milk!
    My bub is on soy too - I'm wondering the same thing... I have been giving him his formula in a sippy cup the last 2 mornings...

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    104
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Weaning off formula

    Bump

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    84
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Weaning off formula

    Just an update on what's going on with DS... He still won't have milk on its own. Still happy to have it on weet-bix. However he is now having it mixed with formula. It's a slow process but we are getting there.

    We started mixing 75/25 with the AR formula. We did that for 2 weeks then changed it to still 75/25 but 1 scoop of regular formula and 2 scoops of AR. We are about to change it to 1 scoop of AR and 2 scoops of the thinner formula. The plan is to then remove the AR all together and then increase the milk to formula ratio.

    The only problem is that he's now gone back up to 5 bottles. And still won't have water during the night but will happily have it from a sippy cup during the day.

    I've tried not offering him milk through the day and only at night but he gets so upset at his afternoon nap that I just give in. I figure this is just going to be a slow process for us and if it takes a long time then it takes a long time. But we are making progress. He wouldn't have a bar of the thinner formula and/or the milk before.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Weaning off formula

    We were talking about starting to wean DS from his bottles today, I'm at a bit of a loss though as he is on soy. Do I give him regular soy milk? Any ideas? He is starting to self wean I think, by eating lots and lots of veggies, I keep offering and he keeps eating. We are only offering water at night from now on, I worry about the whole tooth thing with feeding to sleep.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    104
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Weaning off formula

    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    We were talking about starting to wean DS from his bottles today, I'm at a bit of a loss though as he is on soy. Do I give him regular soy milk? Any ideas? He is starting to self wean I think, by eating lots and lots of veggies, I keep offering and he keeps eating. We are only offering water at night from now on, I worry about the whole tooth thing with feeding to sleep.
    I posted a new thread in weaning an solids. There is some good advice in there. Is your bub cows milk protein intolerant or are you vegan?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    104
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Weaning off formula

    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    Just an update on what's going on with DS... He still won't have milk on its own. Still happy to have it on weet-bix. However he is now having it mixed with formula. It's a slow process but we are getting there.

    We started mixing 75/25 with the AR formula. We did that for 2 weeks then changed it to still 75/25 but 1 scoop of regular formula and 2 scoops of AR. We are about to change it to 1 scoop of AR and 2 scoops of the thinner formula. The plan is to then remove the AR all together and then increase the milk to formula ratio.

    The only problem is that he's now gone back up to 5 bottles. And still won't have water during the night but will happily have it from a sippy cup during the day.

    I've tried not offering him milk through the day and only at night but he gets so upset at his afternoon nap that I just give in. I figure this is just going to be a slow process for us and if it takes a long time then it takes a long time. But we are making progress. He wouldn't have a bar of the thinner formula and/or the milk before.
    Sounds like going slow and having a plan is the way to go. I think bulking up the solids is a good idea. We have been doing that with food an so far she still has the same amount of soy formula but is sleeping through more often now.

    I did read somewhere that once toddlers their appetites don't really grow as their rate of growth also slows. So hopefully once weaned we won't be giving them food 8 times a day!
    Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 14-01-2013 at 10:44.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I posted a new thread in weaning an solids. There is some good advice in there. Is your bub cows milk protein intolerant or are you vegan?
    Hey - thanks! I also posted one this morning

    He is protein intolerant, how about you?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-08-2012, 02:49
  2. Formula for meals - never had formula
    By firstmum0711 in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-03-2012, 07:18
  3. Weaning himself off BF... what now??
    By KillerHeels in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-01-2012, 21:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!