+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default cheap HEALTHY snacks for 3-5 year olds.

I am trying to budget and the first thing to go are the convenient snacks for my kids. We are a quite healthy house so we always by the healthy option stuff like low salt, low sugar - the healthy brands that are also about twice the price. I am after snacks I can make that are not too difficult and don't have loads of sugar. They eat a lot of fruit and raw carrots and fresh fruit/vege is really expensive up here so I am now going to be buying those from the market and (maybe looking at my own vege garden - hard in 35 degree heart, 95% humidity and a 6 month belly!). I need the convienance and we are also time short. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Bliss balls, you can make different sorts but the ones I make are basically cashews, bit of vanilla extract, cocoa, honey, dates..blended and rolled in coconut.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: cheap HEALTHY snacks for 3-5 year olds.

Sugar free apple banana and raspberry muffins, home made sugar free muesli bars, mini quiches

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Sugar free apple banana and raspberry muffins, home made sugar free muesli bars, mini quiches
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Do you have a recipe for a tasty sugar free muesli bar-all the ones that taste any good have heaps of sugar...( like the shop ones).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Do you have a recipe for a tasty sugar free muesli bar-all the ones that taste any good have heaps of sugar...( like the shop ones).
    1/2 cup dried apricots
    1/2 cup sultanas
    2 tblsp honey
    Juice and rind of half an orange
    1 cup corn flakes
    1 ½ cups rolled oats
    ½ cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup desiccated coconut
    1 tblsp poppy seeds
    25g butter, melted
    Instructions

Grease and line a baking tray with baking paper and pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
    In a food processor combine apricots, sultanas honey and orange juice and process until apricots are finely chopped. Add dry ingredients and melted butter and process until well combined.
    * Test mix by taking a spoonful and pressing between fingers. Mix should be sticky and firm when pressed together but not too moist. Add more juice or dry ingredients as required to attain correct consistency.
    Dampen hands and taking tablespoonfuls of mixture, press firmly into log shapes about 5cm long. Flatten onto pre prepared baking tray about ½ - 1cm apart – mixture won’t spread or expand so you can place close together, this will also slow down cooking and ensure golden brown chewiness.
    Bake in pre heated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool on tray for 10 minutes then place on a wire rack until completely cool. Muesli bars will store well in an airtight container in a cool place for up to one week.
    These are great toddler or lunch box treats as they contain no sugar and lots of fiber and complex carbohydrates for energy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    CK2B im about to make these now for the first time as i too hate wasting so much of shop bought snacks.

Ill let you know what they are like.

The sugar free muffins ive made heaps of times and they are really yummy. I usually sneak a few vegies in them too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing for ideas. Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews

Subscribing - thanks for the great ideas so far.
    I make a whole wheat banana bread & it is really yummy! A few recipes on the site 100 days of real food. I am going to try the bliss balls too.
    Mini quiche recipe & measurements please?

Thanks
    Reviews

When its really hot, my 5yo dd will eat cold cucumber (whole! Sometimes with or without the skin) carrot and celery sticks with hommus, frozen banana on a stick, frozen grapes, frozen yoghurt, cold devilled eggs. I have more if you want pm me.

Sometimes she gets fussy but we try (really try hard) to feed her unprocessed whole foods... Otherwise unfortunately she goes nuts! Food really affects her behaviour (I dread birthday parties) although I don't think she is intolerant to anything...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    These are great toddler or lunch box treats as they contain no sugar and lots of fiber and complex carbohydrates for energy

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Um actually, although these are a cute idea and there's nothing wrong with them if you mean no ADDED sugar, in actually fact there's a cup of dried fruit and there's honey, if the quick skim I had through the recipe is correct.
    Dried fruit is a fructose pitfall, generally there's more sugar in one of those tiny boxes of sultanas than in a kilo of grapes. And honey is 40% fructose.
    OP, you should halve the amount of dried fruit you use, if you still want to use it, and look at low/no fructose alternatives to honey such as Rice Malt Syrup, sold in the health food section of Coles.