+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying to lose weight & TTC? How do you balance it?

Pretty simple question actually, but hard to know the best way to go about things!

Since I got together with my now husband, I've put on about 8 kgs. It didn't really bother me when it was just a few extra - I'm definitely not skinny, but I am well proportioned and luckily people seem to think I weigh a lot less than I do.

Unfortunately it's gotten to the point that I'm starting to feel uncomfortable in my skin and I have noticeably developed a bit of a belly, which I really don't like to see!

I know that smaller portions of healthy fresh food & regular exercise should eventually do the trick, but I was wanting to do something in the way of giving it a bit of a "kick start" - problem is, I don't want to do anything/take something which could potentially cause issues - either conceiving at all or during early pregnancy.

As hubby has had a vasectomy reversal, there is a chance things could scar back over - obviously we need to TTC before that may happen, so holding off on TTC until I'm happy with my weight isn't an option.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So last time I was TTCing I joined the gym and got a PT. I acutally fell pregnant within 5 weeks of doing pt. I actually think it helped fall.

Don't starve yourself, just eat well. Good breakfast, lots of nice natural vege and fruits etc... good protein, lots of water, less alcohol and coffee.

I did boxing and circuit training until I was 8 months pregnant. so definitely doable. Just adjust as you need to, don't start anything too new to your body, don't over exert.

I have joined PT again this month and hoping to have similar results as last time!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Trying to lose weight & TTC? How do you balance it?

Thankyou :-) Definitely good advice. I think for me I really need to work on the timing of my meals - breakfast is far too rushed whilst reading work emails & I get hungry far too early for dinner!

I guess it's just a matter of being more organised. I certainly don't like the idea of all the "shakes" and stuff that are about these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt the same, then got the lazy mindset of 'If i lose weight now, I'll put on loads during pregnancy then have to lose it again...so i'll get pregnant first then lose it in one go'. Luckily, it seems my body likes being pregnant and works better. First time round I only put on 6kg and had a 4kg baby, a week after the birth I was 10kg lighter than before.
    This time it seems similar. Am 32 weeks pregnant and have put on 5kg. Baby is measuring weeks ahead for the dates so isn't deficient in anything.
    I still only walk for exercise a few times a week, but thankfully haven't had any cravings so have my usual breakfast/lunch/dinner.
    Losing weight is frustrating but easier done than a successful vasectomy reversal I guess. Perhaps whilst the window is open and before it potentially scars over you need to think about starting ttc sooner rather than later?
    Good luck on your journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Trying to lose weight & TTC? How do you balance it?

I just ate healthier, reduced my carbs a little bit, and started bike riding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also trying to lose a few kgs while TTC. My main priority is focussing on super healthy eating in preparation for growing another human. I write down all the healthy things I want to eat each day and by the time I've eaten all of them I'm too full to want anything else. When I feel like a snack, I look at my list and choose something off it. This way I feel like I'm always saying "yes" to food rather than "no" so I don't feel deprived and I also know I'm getting all the goodies I need. I'd really recommend doing the C25k to improve your fitness and to help with the weightloss. The more exercise you get in now, the stronger your body will be for the trials of pregnancy. I'd really recommend reading some good books on preconception health for motivation as this pre-conception period is one of the most important contributors to your future child's health. Last pregnancy I didn't read them until the second trimester and got the major guilts. This time I'm fully prepared and it feels great. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Trying to lose weight & TTC? How do you balance it?

I like your thinking wrena! Definitely a more positive approach than denying yourself everything.

What is C25k?