User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Composite classes

What are your opinions on composite classes esp for lower grades(yrs 1-3)?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    i cross all bridges with joy and ease.
    the "old" unfolds into wonderful new experiences.
    my life gets better all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Different for every child I think.

For my own- he thrives on achievement and being pushed, and is in the higher end of average for his grade so as long as he was the lower of the 2 classes I think it would be good for him.

But, I do very much think it's a child by child basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Composite classes

I'm not a big fan. DS was put in a K/1 when he was in year 1. He excels acadamically so it was only to his detriment.
    I guess if he was in the lower grade it might be to his benefit- although i'm still not a fan overall.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't like it at all.

I think the children in one year level are usually very different, some high achievers, others struggling ect, so schools should focus on a more "personalised' program, something extra to keep high achievers motivated and support programs for those struggling, that'll keep them busy enough- they don't need a whole extra year level thrown in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The school that my children attended this year is a school composed entirely of composite classes.

This year mine were both in the lower grade (Prep/1 and 2/3 classes) and it worked wonderfully as my two are both above average, and DS spent the second half of the year in the Year 1 sight word and reading groups, and DD1 did Year 3 spelling etc etc.

Also, they used to work with the other classes in their 'Neighbourhood' as they called them, for example every math session all of the Year 2's in DD's class went into the next door class and all of the Year 3's came into hers.

I would probably have more reservations if they were in the higher year of the composite, but this school seems adamant composite are a great thing.
    Girl Boy Girl
    8 6 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Ruby Star - 15,000 postsTopaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 21/8/14Busiest Member of the Week - for the week ended 4-7-14100 Posts in a week
    They can work well if they are put in the right one.

All my kids have benefited from them, but they we chosen very carefully.

J, H and G need to be in the bottom class so they could run ahead and be more challenged.
    M needs to be in the top class as it can give him more confidence.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anewme For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    They're great for grades 1-6 IMO - so 1/2, 3/4, 5/6.

There are so many abilities in a grade that any straight grade 1 class would have students with Prep, grade 1, grade 2 abilities in them anyway. Teaching should be differentiated to cater for all student needs.

Composites also allow for children to have behaviour modelled by older students and to mix with a range of kids, abilities and groupings. Straight grades lend more to the teacher teaching to the middle of the curriculum rather than truly personalising.

I would always opt for children to be in composites rather than straight grades. Straight grade teaching is traditional and can be very blinkered in it's approach.
    Last edited by babyla; 11-12-2012 at 07:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

As a teacher, I believe they can work quite well! Older students can help younger, some older students may need revision of the yr befores concepts, they learn and grow from each other etc etc. with the new prep from June->June most kids can b different ages even in a straight class. I think multi-age should only b within two grades though (eg a 1/2 multi-age) not over three grades (eg 1/2/3 multi-age)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think it largely depends on the child. For us it was terrible - it happened twice. First when DS was in year 2 (2-3) and again in year 6 (6-7). Both times it was a disaster. If your child is either not as socially mature as the children in their age group OR was born towards the end of the year you can have a situation where they are in a class with kids who could be up to 2 years older than them. Didn't work for us - but like I said depends on your child.

Thanks
    Reviews

I hate them. Our SD who struggles with reading was in a composite prep/1, then again a prep/1, then a 1/2- always the older child in the composite- at the end of grade 2 she is still struggling with basic grade 1 readers and the teacher who is a total ditz and she has had all 3 years has just realised she is in grade 2 not grade 1 and is not in fact average for her reading but a full year behind. And should have been doing reading recovery as we asked this year. Before anyone jumps down my throat we have SD every second weekend in which we read at least twice a day and have paid tutors as well as buying lots of reading games etc. just annoys us the school forgot what year she was in.... Wouldn't have happened in a straight class
    Miss Moo- May 2010 and Miss Banana July 2011